Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

5 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Yup, the problem is their very high number of capitas.

True but they are converting to renewables faster than most countries https://www.dw.com/en/china-leads-in-global-shift-to-renewable-energy/a-43266203

We are long past the point where people can choose to act independently. We need to be forced.

I don't think there is any heart for that. At the end of the day, most countries care most about their GDP and any green consernes are just window dressing. Least it seems  that way in the UK

For years I thought the planet was doomed because of human activity but in recent years I have seen some tech that i think might actually save us from completely screwing the planet. We have electric cars that do now work and will become the norm...and with the likes of Teslas home battery thingy the future of self power generation looks easier than ever. I am sure the cost of Teslas home battery thing will come down and competition will lower the prices so it becomes the norm..it will be the future that a home generates all the power needed for the home,car ect.

Then we have all the new tech in solar panels and solar paint ect It is getting cheaper and better.

Also Graphene will one day soon change the world for the better once they figure out how to mass produce it.

The war on plastic is finally making some progress , it is being addressed more than ever before.

The burning of waste, fossil fuels ect is getting cleaner and cheaper to clean.

I think we are now finally on the right road and other developing nations will clean up there acts as the tech will get cheaper and more efficient for all in the near future.

In my 40 years I have never seen a time like now where the future looks cleaner.

• Like 1

The above loathsome individual is best described as "you couldn't make it up if you tried" in respect of the deep conflict between her profligate taxpayer funded lifestyle and her ministerial appointment, but then she is probably profoundly narcissistic.

The perfect example of what is wrong with most career politicians.

Marcus

• Like 1

So... Absolute best case scenario from here on out is a 2 degree increase in global temperature. 

The fallout from this 'best we can hope for' future has been officially designated as CATASTROPHIC.

If we carry on pretty much as we are, we are looking at a 4, 5 or even greater degree rise. Insert any word you like to describe what this would be like, as long as it is far worse than catastrophic.

We are on course for damaging our planet, and the creatures on it, beyond all recognition.

I'm not sure we have quite grasped the magnitude of this challenge we face. It really is THE issue, but we give it relatively little thought.

Is it too big a thing to properly conceptualise? Is it too far removed from the day to day concerns that we fret over?

Are we going to accept being told to stop doing a lot of the things we feel we have the right to do?

Is this existential crisis best tackled in closely affiliated groups of nations or as individual countries looking out for their own concerns?

All thoughts gratefully received.

I noticed your use of the word ‘creatures’ and it brought mirth to my soul.

I have stopped using plastic drinking straws and no longer buy greetings cards with glitter on. That should help...
  • Haha 3

I totally believe in climate change and I would love for everyone to change the way they live including myself.

But unfortunately, I seem to be the kind of person that wants that situation handed to me on a plate. I was very worried at one point (and still am) and became frustrated with most of the world until I realised I was a total hypocrite.

Technically I’m selfish with regards to the issue. I waste fuel, consumables, food...everything really. I don’t mean to but I could never take any moral high ground. 

I live in excess. I’ve tried living to a limit (when I felt strongly about the Earth struggling) but I was unhappy as you end up seeing everyone else living their normal life not changing. And then once I realised that I’m not going to make a difference I slowly reverted back to living they way this country offers me to live. 

Im excited about all the technicoligal advances with regards to green energy. It’s good to see countries being pioneers in huge solar farms or green cities. But then again, I read that this is a small drop in the ocean.

China are outstanding in renuable green energy until you realise they have dumped more concrete in the last decade than the USA ever have in their lifetime. Actually I think they used more crete in 3 years than the USA in the whole of the 20th Century. That’s mental and totally conflicting. 

We are run by higher powers. We live by their rules. We exist in what’s been built for us. The technology is there but everyone (government bodies) is too scared to take that leap of faith because it all boils down to money. They’re tied up in profitable enterprises that only offer excessive, indulgent products. 

Lastly, I think even though I believe what I am writing, there’s an element of doubt. I actually don’t know what to believe anymore. I can’t give an informed opinion on most things because I actually don’t know anymore. 

All I know is that I wore shorts and T-shirt in Feb this year and that ain’t good.

• Like 7

The people that believe this is a natural cycle and refer to the climate changing repeatedly over time are clearly deluded individuals. Yes of course we know that climate changes over time, thats a fact, but to suggest we are not exxagerating that process one way or another with are actions is pretty naive.

Not sure it will happen as quickly as some are suggesting though. We will just have to wait and see I guess

• Like 1
  • Haha 1