Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

So... Absolute best case scenario from here on out is a 2 degree increase in global temperature. 

The fallout from this 'best we can hope for' future has been officially designated as CATASTROPHIC.

If we carry on pretty much as we are, we are looking at a 4, 5 or even greater degree rise. Insert any word you like to describe what this would be like, as long as it is far worse than catastrophic.

We are on course for damaging our planet, and the creatures on it, beyond all recognition.

I'm not sure we have quite grasped the magnitude of this challenge we face. It really is THE issue, but we give it relatively little thought.

Is it too big a thing to properly conceptualise? Is it too far removed from the day to day concerns that we fret over?

Are we going to accept being told to stop doing a lot of the things we feel we have the right to do?

Is this existential crisis best tackled in closely affiliated groups of nations or as individual countries looking out for their own concerns?

All thoughts gratefully received.

• Like 5

Its a plot for governments to seize control of national economies by controlling the energy sector. If you really believe the media hype then I have to say I view you as brainwashed. The same crowd, in the seventies, eighties, predicted New York City streets under water by 2000. The climate has always changed. The Maunder Minimum, the medieval warm period, Vikings in greenland, etc etc. The hysteria is just bunkum. Hollywood clowns telling us we are being naughty while jetting around the world and consuming twenty times what a normal person does. Alexandria Occasio Cortez telling Americans they shouldn't reproduce, but still wants open borders. Al Gore, Mr rising sea levels himself, living in a mansion on the beach. It's crap dude, don't worry about it and live your life.

Edit: And I used to believe in it as well, by the way. Until none of the doomsday scenarios I had ben told in my childhood came true, then I starting looking at the opposing evidence, including my own eyes.

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately we were early to the party and did all our worst deeds long ago, do we really have the right to stop developing nations the right to do what we did, all be it on a much larger scale, just because there are so many more of them?

Do they care or even believe us?

Should we nuke them, in the interests of saving the planet? will they die anyway so no crime?

I really don't think there is anything we can do, but hope?

I guess time will tell, lets hope the planet is more resilient than we think.

Were we born 30 years too late?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Damn, I'm well triggered now. I'll just say more thing, and then leave it alone: humans have always had a foreboding of the apocalypse. And yes, as some point in time, our species will cease to exist in a physical form, at least. The problem is trying to predict the date, and so far the pseudo scientists have got the global warming - sorry, climate change - apocalypse date wrong time and time again. Its just the same old psychological trope being played out now, with a veneer of modernity.

Here's a list of failed doomsday prophesies in history. Often the same prophets kick the can down the road...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Unfortunately we were early to the party and did all our worst deeds long ago, do we really have the right to stop developing nations the right to do what we did, all be it on a much larger scale, just because there are so many more of them?

Do they care or even believe us?

Should we nuke them, in the interests of saving the planet? will they die anyway so no crime?

I really don't think there is anything we can do, but hope?

I guess time will tell, lets hope the planet is more resilient than we think.

Were we born 30 years too late?

Yes, China and India are by far the biggest problem at present.

Do we have the right to stop them, arguably no. Do we need to stop them, yes.

I heard someone comment that the fact that China is effectively a dictatorship could be beneficial. If the Chinese leader's ego could be prodded into seeing himself as the key player in saving the planet, he has the power to very quickly change the course of his nation. This would make a huge difference.

There is some hope. If we can hold the temperature rise to 2 degrees the results will only be catastrophic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, difflock said:

And as easy to predict or prevent as any of our present perceptions of climate instability.

I think you'd be surprised.

The science on human induced global warming is now unequivocal, and even the most conservative projections are dire.

We know what we are dealing with.

• Like 1

It’s pretty appalling that we are all wrapped up arguing about brexit when the real elephant in the room is our dying planet.
The moment to act was 10 years ago, but we are too selfish and short sighted to see what unimaginable shit we are serving up for our grandchildren.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1