Top-handled chainsaws: appropriate use and management

I guess it just never came up when I did stuff for other companies.

I do work over here for a large landscaping firm, I sometimes wonder what will happen if I flatten a house for them. 

Fingers crossed it never becomes an issue.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

4 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

I agree with what Mark and Steve said.

However, I also used to carry my own Income protection insurance...  just in case.

That was just piece of mind and common sense IMO and not a legal requirement.

If you have kids and financial commitments it makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

I had a personal injury insurance as needed to have this to get a mortgage back then , but I was employed at the time, after a few years went self employed then had my accident. I’d been paying the same premium for around 9yrs , BUT because I didn’t notify the insurance company if me going to self employed I was entitled to the monthly pay out I was supposed to get , as on the books I was earning more than being self employed. It was just another kick in the nuts while I was out of action. Also another lesson learned, the hard way of course.

Perhaps the phrase "a grey area" wasn't the best turn of phrase, maybe "open to interpretation" would have been a better one.

Do I need employers’ liability insurance for all the people who work for me?

You are only required by law to have employers’ liability insurance for people who you employ under a contract of service or apprenticeship.

Whether or not you need employers’ liability insurance for someone who works for you depends on the terms of your contract with them. This contract can be spoken, written or implied. It does not matter whether you usually call someone an employee or self-employed or what their tax status is. Whether you choose to call your contract a contract of employment or a contract for services is largely irrelevant. What matters is the real nature of your relationship with the people who work for you and the nature and degree of control that you have over the work they do.

Hence, as I mentioned, that is why we make EL a condition of the scheme, which has been challenged several times.a 

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)
dditional info
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I do work over here for a large landscaping firm, I sometimes wonder what will happen if I flatten a house for them. 

Presumably the first claim will be on the landscaping firm's insurance who, in turn, will seek to claim on yours...probably. And this is a public liability insurance situation, which isn't a legal requirement (here in UK anyway) rather than EL. which is.

Fingers crossed either way..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Presumably the first claim will be on the landscaping firm's insurance who, in turn, will seek to claim on yours...probably. And this is a public liability insurance situation, which isn't a legal requirement (here in UK anyway) rather than EL. which is.

Fingers crossed either way..

Makes sense, thanks’

25 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

That’s bona fide subcontractor territory, which is different.

• Like 2