ST6p

mattadams

From running a farmi with possibly the longest distance from roller to flywheel of any similar capacity machine out there i cant see much chance of springing back.. if it fits through in the first place it will remain compressed til chipped.. theres nowhere for it to go.
Stubs on the other hand may cause the rollers to bounce, but there shouldn't be any stubs worth talking about if snedded properly.
I saw wear around the keyway on the shaft of the top motor (had it off for a seal change) and would imagine this is from years of back and forth movement. Surely design should dictate either hydraulic blow off or key shear before breaking the shaft.
I would argue that hopping up and over stubs is more harmful over time than the odd jammed fork.

• 1 year later...

Feed rollers once dug in to a piece of wood are feeding it in regards less of shape if it will physically go in it’s going in and that means compressing the shape and size via a nice smooth tapered hopper, once past that the narrowest point there’s room for expansion!
Rotating shaft pushed of centre the slightest bit bends forwards backwards up and down with ever rotation. That’s called stressed which I turn causes fatigue and failure!
Well everyone comments how fast a Forst chips!!
How many could honestly say they have only ever feed their chipper in a nice steady pace with no large y pieces, no cramping in as much as you can because it will take, never use reverse as it’s all small enough!..

Guess I must be wrong! Feed rollers shaft just snap like twigs for no reason!.. or maybe the hydraulic motors are so strong they just twist them off?.. everyone’s an expert until they break it!

2 hours ago, WeFixIt said:

Feed rollers once dug in to a piece of wood are feeding it in regards less of shape if it will physically go in it’s going in and that means compressing the shape and size via a nice smooth tapered hopper, once past that the narrowest point there’s room for expansion!
Rotating shaft pushed of centre the slightest bit bends forwards backwards up and down with ever rotation. That’s called stressed which I turn causes fatigue and failure!
Well everyone comments how fast a Forst chips!!
How many could honestly say they have only ever feed their chipper in a nice steady pace with no large y pieces, no cramping in as much as you can because it will take, never use reverse as it’s all small enough!..

Guess I must be wrong! Feed rollers shaft just snap like twigs for no reason!.. or maybe the hydraulic motors are so strong they just twist them off?.. everyone’s an expert until they break it!

You were wrong before and you’re wrong again.

As I said, you clearly never spent much time feeding a chipper.

• Like 1

Best practise is to put little nicks in tension side of crotch, not because it will snap those sugar crystal feed rollers -  the pace of work just goes faster !  Brash just flows through and yr less fatigued.  K

Edited by Khriss
( course i just watch people do this now... Cos who wants to feed a ****************kin woodchipper all day ? )
  • Like 1

You were wrong before and you’re wrong again.
As I said, you clearly never spent much time feeding a chipper.

So I bow down to the get wise one so I my hear your words of wisdom, please continue with your own theory of knowledge.. & experience of using a wood chipper and explain the reasons why a 1” shaft of steel snaps like a twig?.....
  • Haha 1

Who knows? It’s a Forst, anything can and will break. 

Read GA Groundcare’s post on the last page, he explains it very well.

If you put a fork in it usually reaches the rollers horizontally, if it doesn’t as soon as it hits the rollers it flips it to a horizontal position, if it’s too big to go through the aperture it’ll either block and the rollers will skid over it or it’ll block the rollers which will stop and the relief valve kicks in, if the pull of the rollers is strong enough it will snap the fork leaving no chance of this explosion/spring back you talk about, sometimes a noggin will lodge in the opening where the top roller moves up and down. Then you shut it down and a 10 minute dismantle will sort it out.

Manufactures sell these machines on their ability to take awkward shaped material, if it can go in, and it’s wood, it goes in. 

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

Best practise is to put little nicks in tension side of crotch, not because it will snap those sugar crystal feed rollers -  the pace of work just goes faster !  Brash just flows through and yr less fatigued.  K

That's how we have to cut for the old Jensen a530t... Makes it smooth flowing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swinny said:

That's how we have to cut for the old Jensen a530t... Makes it smooth flowing. 

I will add- taking an angle grinder to said rollers after 6 months work will give rollers back their bite - OR as i have found with most company machines, too shagged,  a new roller set. The improvement in productivity astounds. K

Edited by Khriss
Nothing funnier than the lads trying to physically ram sticks thru, with blunt rollers - but not funny fr me doing it.