Home 'lecky supply 253v

Sutton

This may interest prospective new home buyers or anyone who notices applicances/ lights dont last long at home.

We've been replacing light bulbs v regularly in our house so, being responsible, we got in a sparky to check the house wiring. All the light fittings are recent so weren't arcing (which apparently shortens bulb life). It turns out we're close to a substation and the National grid put the voltage up so that those at the end of each supply line still get 230V (+/- 7%). This means those nearest get a higher voltage even during peak usage times.

He's recommended a package costing £700. Just wondering if there are other options.

I've asked on a DIY forum about a transformer /rectifier  to cut our 253v down to 230v. Not had much joy.

Anyone else had this prob? Other than moving what else can we do?

I would be interested in what package you've been offered as I would like to investigate similar issues. I've checked our voltage and it also ranges a fair bit, it seems to be much higher during the summer when the suns out which I gather is because so much solar energy is fed into the local grid which isn't designed to take it.

Anyway, the range is 230v +10%/-7% I think, which gives you 253v. I wonder if you'll exceed 253v on a bright summers day? Your power company can put something in temporarily to record the voltage fluctuations which might be worth requesting, to see if they will help.

1 hour ago, Sutton said:

We've been replacing light bulbs v regularly in our house so, being responsible, we got in a sparky to check the house wiring. All the light fittings are recent so weren't arcing (which apparently shortens bulb life). It turns out we're close to a substation and the National grid put the voltage up so that those at the end of each supply line still get 230V (+/- 7%). This means those nearest get a higher voltage even during peak usage times.

Yes but sometimes they can connect your supply to a lower tapping on the transformer if you are on a different spur from the ones far off.

He's recommended a package costing £700. Just wondering if there are other options.

Replace incandescent lights with LEDs, they have their own inbuilt protection.

Edited by openspaceman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Yes but sometimes they can connect your supply to a lower tapping on the transformer if you are on a different spur from the ones far off.

This .

21 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Interesting. Thanks. I'll get in touch with my supplier

18 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Often we get the opposite.. the lecky shower barely gets hot, the lowest I've measured is 208 V

That's way outside of spec. We had this some years ago and complained. Western Power put some voltage recording device on the line and when it showed we were getting low voltage they upgraded the line to the closest transformer. Problem solved.

47 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

That's way outside of spec.

Yeah, it's not like that all the time but power outages fairly often if there's a big storm then I recon they patch it all together as best they can until they sort it properly.....Got this from a Mira pdf.. cheers.

*Note: The standard voltage for electricity supply in the UK is now 230V +10% -6% (253V to 216V). As the previous standard voltage of 240V +6% effectively falls within this band, there is likely to be no significant change in existing supplies for some years.

the answers are all here above , find out the specs... the supply co's have to supply within the specs. Get yourself a hand mutlimeter that can tell you what voltage your getting. Then complain.

and you should not have to pay £700 for some equipment to correct a suppliers leci supply

• Like 1