Pfanner Jackets - Waterproof?

Nipper O

Klimba air is not .... the nanosheild would be if you only wore it solely when it rains , and treated it well I had the Ventura and it was good for about 6 months image the nano is just a cheaper version but same fabric.. good jacket but pricy.

Says first one has waterproof shoulder pads second is Sympatex waterproof material

Not sure how that compares  to gortex etc

A bit more durable material than gortex i recon .. have to treat them as Justin says but can get away with every other wash if it’s not too deep, I end up wearing them like a normal work jack and getting holes in them which is no good when it rains!

I swear by the Buffalo System clothing, used by the SAS and Mountain rescue teams, I’ve had them for years after trying all kinds of waterproof/breathable jackets which are good if you are standing around, but working is a different matter.

The Special 6 is the one I use the most, tight fit, nothing or a base layer under, not waterproof but the insulation properties don’t alter when your wet so you are always warm, the body heat dries it quick the minute it stops raining, windproof to 50 mph.

I use the military goretex myself- I’ve not found a tougher waterproof- I’ve had 2 sets (so I can rotate whilst one set drys) which I bought in 2012 and literally have them on everyday in the winter- just to keep my clothes clean if it’s not raining, never re-proofed them- no need as still keep me dry largely. Best big is they only cost about £60 for a full set so not the end of the world if I rip them on barb wire .

Edited by Matthew Storrs
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got the forest jacket and like it, possibly partially due to the fact that I didn’t have to buy it myself!! I was surprised at the weight of it as it has a honeycomb inner to help cool and keep you warm with air circulation so more substantial than I thought it would be. As others have said it’s not fully waterproof but I’ve been out in some pretty lousy weather and my shoulders and chest were dry due to the waterproofing in the hi-viz area and even thought the rest isn’t waterproof it was mainly the sides that let the wet through. I wouldn’t wear it in torrential weather (or have a waterproof over it) but it’s my go to jacket at the moment for general work and it’s pretty robust. Definitely not the cheapest and I’m sure there are other jackets for far less (plenty of reviews of gear on here) and arguably as good or better but it’s what I researched and wanted so ticks the boxes.

• Like 1