Isa Certification vs level 4 Arboriculture

Just wanted some advice, as well as maybe anyones experiences, I have studied at Capel manor and gained level 2 first diploma in countryside and environment, also have done level 3 national certificate in forestry and arboriculture, cs 30/31/38/39 woodchipper stump grinder, full hgv, been in the industry around 6-7years for a large commercial company, however recently moved into working self employed, but would really like to do some more studying to get more underpinning knowledge and open up new ventures into this industry, I was thinking of either isa certification and doing as many of the approved aa courses or either distance learning for the level 4 arboriculture, if anyone could shed any advice or guidance it would be very much appreciated?

cheers 

The ISA will be similar to what you did for your L3, I did an ND in 1997 and the ISA in 2002, didn't learn anything new really, its pretty easy.  It wont teach to do consultancy work if that is what you have in mind.  The CEUs are a good idea I suppose but I'm not convinced about the content.

I did the L4 back in 2005 when it was still called the Technicians Certificate.  Its an excellent course and I cant recommend it highly enough.  I got a job as a tree officer before I had even finished the course, its a whole different level to the ISA.  I would go with this all day over the ISA if you want to do advisory work.  

One thing I would say about the L4 is its portfolio assessed (it was exam and management exercises when I did it) so the workload is pretty intense.  I did the L6 between 2012 and 2014 (also portfolio assessed).  I never found the level difficult but the amount of work is huge.  You need to be on it all the time, if you fall behind you will be in big trouble.  On the positive though, the learning is more complete as you have to hit 100% of the assessment criteria, with exam its only 50%.  

If you can though I would go day release with Tree Life, not distance learning. It is useful to discuss with others who are in the same situation.    

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:43, Martin du Preez said:

would is be over ambitious for me to just jump straight to level 4 having nothing beforehand? i reckon i have a decent understanding and got an A in biology for A levels, half of which is plants if that means anything

I have a biology A level, it doesn't really cross over much with the professional Arb qualifications, maybe a bit more with the academic side.  In reality though, it would get you on to an Arb foundation degree.

With the L4 and the L6 its more about work place skills such as analysing subsidence data, critically evaluating decay detection equipment, BS5837 reports.  You do cover stuff such as fungal colonisation strategies and modes of decay, bit about anatomy, but its much less focussed on genetics and biochemistry that the A level is, or was when I did it.  You wont have an issue with the level though in my opinion.   

You do need some underpinning knowledge to build on so it depends on where you are with your arb knowledge.  As Ian said, speak with the training provider and more precisely, tree life.  Dave Dowson wrote the syllabus so he knows better than anyone.  Also, go onto the ABC website and download the rules of combination for the L4 and L2 arb qualifications.  Have a look at the assessment criteria, it will give you an idea of what is covered. 

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:39, Chris at eden said:

The ISA will be similar to what you did for your L3, I did an ND in 1997 and the ISA in 2002, didn't learn anything new really, its pretty easy.  It wont teach to do consultancy work if that is what you have in mind.  The CEUs are a good idea I suppose but I'm not convinced about the content.

"...but I'm not convinced about the content"

Hi Chris, can you expand please...is it because it's American based? (in reality probably less than 10% I would suggest and the rest is common, USA / UK / EU...oops :D.)

I truly believe the ISA CA is an ideal educational supplement for craftsman arb level where some has attained their practical skills quals, e.g. Lantra or NPTC chainsaws / tree climbing, to give a better understanding of trees and their requirements etc.

Cheers,

Paul  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdwardC said:

Care to explain why Paul. I'd be interested to know if there's a reason, other than your undeclared interest in promoting the ISA qualifications.

Edward, an interesting supposition, albeit incorrectly so.

I speak as someone who personally greatly benefitted from working my way through the study guide early in my career which significantly increased my very limited  'arb' technical knowledge, as it was at the time.

Further, I recently attended an associated training course delivered by Andy Summerly (Treelife) and observed the benefits to those attending, both tree surgeons / arborist and supervisors / managers who had no prior arb quals (and indeed myself as a refresher.)

I stick by my guns here Edward that, at the craftsman level, ISA CA is a great learning program to supplement the suite of chainsaw / tree climbing qualifications (L4 & L6 are equally great learning opportunities, but for later ones career maybe when / if one wishes to progress to Tree Officer or Arb Advisor / Surveyor role etc.)

Regards,

Paul   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1