New CS352--tuning and muffler mod advise

Echo

I agree with the posts above, use a good quality mix oil is important, 

ration withing reason, I always keep on the safe side with a little more

oil in the mix. And tune rich enough to avoid running lean. Tune weather

and altitude can really cause trouble and need to be monitored.

spudulike I concur with your tuning advise, in regard to the smaller

and echo saws, first experience with this model has shown just how

the tiniest movement of the screws make a big change, though this one

can be easily made soot up the plug with any riching up on the low screw,

it came this way, which bothered me, as it needs to be running on the edge of

sooty to idle and throttle up, but I have given up on getting idle spot on for this reason,

as it throttles up just fine now and no more soot other than normal is produced. 

I hope to bring the L out slightly when the dealer gets his new tach, other than this,

this little saw cuts very well. 

This is the first time I dealt with this Echo dealer, he is only a few hundred feet

higher than where I live, but this saw definitely reacts to it when in his yard and mine.

The sound of the saw changes quite noticeably, add the damp weather that appeared

just as I started my second round of cutting at my place, and one would think some one

swapped out the saw for another, learning all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

New

Ok, had this 352 going very well, gave it to someone to use, a few days ago I started it up, it started after two pulls on choke, thought this was odd as I had used for a week and it started after three pulls on choke, dumped out their fuel, added my own, left saw over night, today was the coldest day since I had the saw, again, two pulls on choke to make her first fire.
What has changed that it now takes one pull less on choke, am really curious, I asked if anyone altered the carb, told no, but I have my doubts, nothing moves on its own, also noted the saw revs up after it starts and I need to flash the throttle to bring it back to idle, I do not recall having to do this step either, and I had the little saw perfect, taking three pulls before first fire, and it cut like a daemon, with a good plug colour.

The filter was checked, its clean and dry so nothing dodgy there, I leaned out the L, left the saw half a day, again, two pulls on choke to first fire, and when it started up it reved until I flashed the throttle, which am sure it was not doing before I loaned it. Would it not be that it should need more choke time the colder it gets. 
I  do not want to run the saw until I check what needs to be done to make its first fire on the third pull, I was so happy with this set up as the plug stayed nice, the engine ran well, accelerated well and held its nerve very will in the cut, so rather than blackening this plug with what I suspect is more fuel getting in, I thought I would as first, what needs adjusted to restore harmony.

Well the idle changed a little, not variable as in racing up and down, just quite jerky on the mounts at idle, and is a little low, I find this odd seeing as it had none of this before I loaned it, ten eleven tanks of fuel through it now.

Edited by Echo

I just do not know, this is the strangest saw ever, I went out and started it, paid no heed to the three pull for first fire it was doing before, started up, and let it warm, it performs like it did the week I was using it, running the same temp and good plug colour. I can't understand it, so far thats three times it ran differently from new, it ran good at the delers, it ran rich with me, then it stopped running rich, then it went from choking three times to two when even the weather would dictate otherwise, and now its running spot on again, if I disregard the fact it needs less choking. One would think there was something sticking the carb up slightly, then releasing the flow to normal again, but it good fuel, and oil.

Anyway, I planned on buying a 50cc saw, and who ever takes this one as a trade will get my custom. I traded last year and both parties were happy, ended up with a 362.

There is only one problem, I may be forced into taking a Husky 550 mk2, because there is no updated / version 2 of the 261 available locally, only the older one, and they only bring them in in bulk, so no hope of getting one.

Am going to post a new thread asking about these two saws, but if my Echo supplier cares to take in my old saw, then I will be dealing with him, I have always liked the 501, but they are very close to Husky and Stihl territory in price.

Edited by Echo