Solar kiln advice

antarty86

Hi all, thinking of building a small solar kiln and have found a design that seems ideal but there’s a few things that don’t seem right? There’s no baffle, and it seems that the fan is sucking cool air from the bottom of the kiln and then exhausting from the top? Should it not suck from the top, go under the collected and (assuming there’s a baffle) exhaust from the bottom having been through the stack? 

Anyone built this kiln or have any views on it? 

http://www.highweald.org/downloads/publications/1532-solar-kiln-construction-guide-may-2015/file.html

thanks in advance 

ant 

31 minutes ago, antarty86 said:

Should it not suck from the top, go under the collected and (assuming there’s a baffle) exhaust from the bottom having been through the stack? 

Anyone built this kiln or have any views on it? 

What you say seems more logical. What do you intend to dry?

If it's boards you need better controls

If it's firewood it's too complicated and why use plywood when the whole front could be glazed?

22 hours ago, openspaceman said:

What you say seems more logical. What do you intend to dry?

If it's boards you need better controls

If it's firewood it's too complicated and why use plywood when the whole front could be glazed?

2” slabs of oak will be my main kiln filling. I was under the impression that it’s pretty self controlling, with it cooling down at night and the fan being of, it relaxes a lot of the stresses caused by the heat of the day? 

19 minutes ago, kinderscout said:

Hope this picture helps electric kiln.
Intake vent just above kiln fan.
Exhaust top of kiln far end.20180831_204018.jpeg

That’s interesting, what does the “electric kiln” entail? Is that a heater or dehumidifier at bottom? And what’s the approximate cost to build something like that? I assume it’s a lot mor controllable than a solar kiln and you can use it in winter lol ? 

2 minutes ago, antarty86 said:

2” slabs of oak will be my main kiln filling. I was under the impression that it’s pretty self controlling, with it cooling down at night and the fan being of, it relaxes a lot of the stresses caused by the heat of the day? 

I've not much practical knowledge of kilning boards but would have thought it could easily  over heat and surface check without better humidity control.

That’s interesting, what does the “electric kiln” entail? Is that a heater or dehumidifier at bottom? And what’s the approximate cost to build something like that? I assume it’s a lot mor controllable than a solar kiln and you can use it in winter lol [emoji23] 
Its log sol wood kiln but i built my own box with glass fibre base to hold the water to steam the wood.
All the plans are on the web site.
Cost finished about £1300.
20180827_201759.jpeg

2 hours ago, kinderscout said:

Its log sol wood kiln but i built my own box with glass fibre base to hold the water to steam the wood.
All the plans are on the web site.
Cost finished about £1300.
20180827_201759.jpeg

Logosol Kiln? 

This one? 

https://www.logosol.com/store/sauno-torkaggregat-vt5-4kw.html

Are you up and running yet? Would be interesting to see if its worth me investing in one as well.

Edited by trigger_andy