Drying Roundwood stacks before processing

arboriculturist

23 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

It is indeed. I'm struggling to get more than 6months ahead of delivery date before it's cut generally but at this time of year when it's not unseasonably warm its usually about 25-30%. Softwood is sub 20% even now. Most importantly though it's not getting rewet at all prior to processing. We kiln so it's not essential for it to be dry but it speeds things up dramatically and reduces risk of surface mould because of wetness where logs are touching.

When I say it let's water through... That's only in really heavy rain, it runs off it in droplets most of the time. It chucked it down last night and those sheets are dry as a bone this morning. Only the odd patch of wet where the holding down logs are in contact with it. A bit like when water goes through a tent when you touch it in wet weather.

I leave them off if there's a period of prolonged dry weather predicted

25 - 30% in 6 months is amazing to hear, the wind must be really blowing through the stacks to get down to that level. Is that the average MC or tested in end grain or side of roundwood? 

25 - 30% in 6 months is amazing to hear, the wind must be really blowing through the stacks to get down to that level. Is that the average MC or tested in end grain or side of roundwood? 
Yeah it's very much perpendicular to the prevailing wind.

Thats centre grain while processing. The sub 6" diameter is lower in that moisture range obviously but I find keeping it out of the rain like that encourages the bark to dry out faster and flake off sooner particularly with sycamore which is the majority of that stack.

The ease of rolling it up makes it worth doing if no rain is forecast for a while particularly in summer.

As you know I do contract processing and get to see others storage. The dryest roundwood I have processed was covered on the top and was sat upon very free draining ground. I am sure the later was very advantageous and I am seeing with our crate storage how the dryness of the base makes a difference to drying times. 

17 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

As you know I do contract processing and get to see others storage. The dryest roundwood I have processed was covered on the top and was sat upon very free draining ground. I am sure the later was very advantageous and I am seeing with our crate storage how the dryness of the base makes a difference to drying times. 

That interesting - I use large bearers, and orientate to take account of wind direction. A good sheeting job is essential. The larger diameters will always be a challenge and 1 season will never be enough of course. Others have found more like 4 for around 350mm - 450 dependant on species. If you have the capital it's a good investment as it reduces the heavy investment on  IBCs.

Edited by arboriculturist

4 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

That interesting - I use large bearers, and orientate to take account of wind direction. A good sheeting job is essential. The larger diameters will always be a challenge and 1 season will never be enough of course. Others have found more like 4 for around 350mm - 450 dependant on on species. If you have the capital it's a good investment as it reduces the heavy investment on  IBCs.

I don't mean just the bearers but the ground below. I process for two places on mine waste in the Tamar valley. The ground is very free draining gravel and the wood drys out well on both sites but better on the one that gets covered. Ours sadly sit on bearers on a muddy field 

Edited by Woodworks

11 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I don't mean just the bearers but the ground below. I process for two places on mine waste in the Tamar valley. The ground is very free draining gravel and the wood drys out well on both sites but better on the one that gets covered. Ours sadly sit on bearers on a muddy field 

Wow, that's uncanny. I would have thought my 12" gap under the stacks would be perfect. I know some do cross bearers also, then I could have 2ft gap under the stack. I could also screen out some stone so just hardcore under stacks. A bit to think about then. ?

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

Wow, that's uncanny. I would have thought my 12" gap under the stacks would be perfect. I know some do cross bearers also, then I could have 2ft gap under the stack. I could also screen out some stone so just hardcore under stacks. A bit to think about then. ?

Not suggesting bearers are not a good thing just dry ground beneath helps a lot as well. 

Edited by Woodworks

If you don't mind me asking how many tonnes do you buy each year ? what I can see in the photo is several hundred tonnes alone!

I think I will go with your covering based on how you have found it. How many seasons could it last if we take care with it?
I can get approx 250t on the left and 150t on the right. The right is currently chip wood for the boiler but we have got 100t+ of new storage area courtesy of the neighbour directly opposite our entrance so I'm hoping for an extra 100t of hardwood this year.

3 hours ago, SbTVF said:
5 hours ago, arboriculturist said:
If you don't mind me asking how many tonnes do you buy each year ? what I can see in the photo is several hundred tonnes alone!

I think I will go with your covering based on how you have found it. How many seasons could it last if we take care with it?

I can get approx 250t on the left and 150t on the right. The right is currently chip wood for the boiler but we have got 100t+ of new storage area courtesy of the neighbour directly opposite our entrance so I'm hoping for an extra 100t of hardwood this year.

That's a 25K investment although I expect once you have built up to that level of stock held it gets forgotten about providing you keep stock held at that level.

Drying in this manner is certainly to be applauded and can be sustained for the long term.

How long do your breathable covers last and what width do you generally buy?

Edited by arboriculturist