Newbie Miller issues.

SbTVF

If you think the Ash was hard going wait until you hit the Beech, it can be a git to chainsaw mill.
Mill it as soon as you can from being felled and sharpen chain after every cut. Good luck

Interesting,
I cut beech regularly and haven't had a problem. Ash, nightmare.
[emoji106]

like you Saul, dont find beech a problem, but if Im not the one felling ash, I very rarely mill it with the saw, its hard enough on the band mill

I agree completely with the "if I fell the ash tree". That would be the only time I'd mill ash.
Shame as the oatmeal colour is rather nice and it's damn strong stuff.
I have had issues cross cutting seasoned beech with wonky.
Thought our saws were cutting slow.
[emoji848][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Are you keeping your cut open by using wedges?

The pinching effect of the top plank will rob you of alot of power.As you cut along the plank droops,rubbing on the rivets on your chain.

You don't need many,one at the end for the start and one or two as you go along,I keep mine in each back pocket as with some practice you can insert them without stopping.

• Like 1

Are you keeping your cut open by using wedges?

The pinching effect of the top plank will rob you of alot of power.As you cut along the plank droops,rubbing on the rivets on your chain.

You don't need many,one at the end for the start and one or two as you go along,I keep mine in each back pocket as with some practice you can insert them without stopping.

Yeah, using plenty.

And just to add all the beech I have is heavily spalted and probably past its best so not expecting it to be overly hard.

Well I got it done. Worked much better after a sharpen with my granberg and only need the weight of my hand resting on the mill to keep it moving. That being said, bit oh boy could you tell when it was cutting through a knot, shook me to buggery!

Pleased overall for my first try. Now the hard part... Getting my brother along to help lift them out! e46269357613641ddfd89b3b402169ff.jpg

• Like 5

Well I got it done. Worked much better after a sharpen with my granberg and only need the weight of my hand resting on the mill to keep it moving. That being said, bit oh boy could you tell when it was cutting through a knot, shook me to buggery!

Pleased overall for my first try. Now the hard part... Getting my brother along to help lift them out! e46269357613641ddfd89b3b402169ff.jpg

Congratulations mate,
Good looking boards.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]