Woodlands 130 loading options

Johnsond

Hi Johnson’s nice trailer,wish my fabrication skills were that good my welding is not pretty,one thing since first looking at the woodland mills ramps and then making mine the ramp slots in and then rests on the mill rails and I was wondering if over time the small spot on the mill rail would deform somehow effecting the run of the saw head ,I was thinking about making a small something to deal with the issue or do you think I am over thinking things .

Thanks Mark 

On 19/12/2019 at 09:16, gobbypunk said:

Hi Johnson’s nice trailer,wish my fabrication skills were that good my welding is not pretty,one thing since first looking at the woodland mills ramps and then making mine the ramp slots in and then rests on the mill rails and I was wondering if over time the small spot on the mill rail would deform somehow effecting the run of the saw head ,I was thinking about making a small something to deal with the issue or do you think I am over thinking things .

Thanks Mark 

Possibly yeah as agrimog has said. But on the other hand mine is levelled on a series of bolts welded to the chassis itself, this allows me to tweak the rails if required. Because of that I made sockets for the ramps that take a vertical extension on the underside of the ramp these are welded direct to chassis so no load on rails. The winch mounting arm fits in a socket welded to chassis too as I was not keen on relying on the set up woodlands use. Probs worrying for nothing but hey ho. For general day to day use in reality I’d say that the rails will take the ramps no probs. The reasoning for the heavier set up on mine is I know that  it’s main work load initially will consist of oversize Douglas fir which is bloody heavy at this time of year. As for welding mines not perfect either and some days I just ain’t got the patience lol. One thing worth doing is get a little bit of tuition off someone whom knows what they are doing it’s worth it big time. A decent welder helps massively, I use a Lincoln 185 mig set up running on a 32amp circuit with a slow fuse. 

5D4601E2-C688-49E0-87B9-2FAAF3C9796D.png

Johnsonond, your loading ramps are awee bit more substantional than woodlands own design, they rely on the two plates to locate and suport the ramps, quite a clever design, to work with there trailer setup, Ive looked at it as well, the ramps, yes, I'll copy the design and adapt , but the winch mount, not 100% about that, it relies on the log stop, and its not very substantial, and only 2 little welds, theres been a few cases of the welds breaking and/or the square section distorting, so Im still looking at a method to mount a winch pole

1 hour ago, agrimog said:

Johnsonond, your loading ramps are awee bit more substantional than woodlands own design, they rely on the two plates to locate and suport the ramps, quite a clever design, to work with there trailer setup, Ive looked at it as well, the ramps, yes, I'll copy the design and adapt , but the winch mount, not 100% about that, it relies on the log stop, and its not very substantial, and only 2 little welds, theres been a few cases of the welds breaking and/or the square section distorting, so Im still looking at a method to mount a winch pole

Totally agree the socket for the stop is not man enough for the winch to be mounted on, the option I used was one size of box section for the socket and the next size down or whatever it was at the steel stockist that would fit inside it. The pics tell the story I guess. The plates are welded to chassis and the socket is welded at a slight angle. That could easily be modified to be a bolt on affair if welding to the chassis was not an option. The one in the pics is a mk1 version but the principle is all the same. Yeah the ramps are a bit beefy but it’s what I had at the time and as the saying goes better to be looking at it than for it ( strength in this case ) humour aside in reality the whole trailer and set up is probs a bit over engineered. 

5B2CC0E4-7C5A-4A28-A969-75F5B10B10B4.jpeg

E8FEC1F9-9FD4-4E84-B4C5-3B1F8A37439E.jpeg

9F158443-6A8B-453F-BD36-C415E48584FD.jpeg

17119977-C867-44B8-9B4F-0C4F006B6F4D.jpeg