Woodlands 130 loading options

Johnsond

Hi All 

Part way through a trailer build for a 130 mill, just wondering how people getting on when loading logs ie best options  if plant is not on site to be able to load logs etc. I've seen the vids with them being parbuckled up and they make it look so easy I'm sure reality is a bit different. Main question is has anyone constructed a log loader set up as Norwood and woodmizer have on some of the mills. Obviously hydraulics would be required but just putting it out there to see what others have done and how successful it's proven to be. 

Cheers 

Yeah I've seen the set up they use and it's quite tidy how it all packs away etc. Very easy to copy for sure, ive a little 12v superwinch that's sat for years doing nothing that would certainly be better than handwinching. 

The hyd option is what I'm drawn to in long run as to be honest it's far from rocket science when you look at Norwood or woodmizer set up, Ive a few checks to make ref offset of wheels from rails and chassis height etc before I can be sure what will work best. 

Sounds interesting, would you mind if I had a look at your design? I’ve got mine sat on a concrete slab in my shed at the moment, but putting it on a trailer is my mission for this summer, my biggest problem is keeping the weight down so i don’t need to do a separate test lol but I’ll probably just have to bite the bullet and get it done. 

Cheers ant 

8 hours ago, antarty86 said:

Sounds interesting, would you mind if I had a look at your design? I’ve got mine sat on a concrete slab in my shed at the moment, but putting it on a trailer is my mission for this summer, my biggest problem is keeping the weight down so i don’t need to do a separate test lol but I’ll probably just have to bite the bullet and get it done. 

Cheers ant 

Yeah no probs that's all I have for now but I'll put some more pics up once I get it set up. I've not made any effort to keep the weight down due to having plans for the log lifter etc in the back of my head hence its overstrength for what it is at moment. Gone for a twin axle braked set up. My licence is pre whatever it is anyway plus HGV1 so was not bothered by the 750KG thing. 

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Forest2Furniture said:

I've had my trailer mounted mill for about 2.5 yrs now and have always used either 12v winch or hand winch and ramps to load the logs, I have to say I prefer the hand winch.

Cheers for the reply

Is that the woodlands trailer ?? 

If not do you have any images of the set up. What was driver behind preferring the hand winch ??. Did you find there was a limit as to what you could get into the mill, some of the DF I have is right up on the max capacity diameter wise and 4.8M long so a decent weight. 

I find the hand winch quicker to set up, no need to connect to power supply etc, bear in mind it has to be removed from the mill before milling.

The hand winch I use will easily winch up a 30" diameter walnut trunk 10' long, mines not got the rail extensions.

It's not a woodlands trailer it's one that the new UK rep Chris was offering when I bought the mill.

Not a bad trailer, I've made a few changes to it as I've gone along such as removable mud guards, jacks etc, double wheel jockey wheel I find great for moving when on softer ground.