In days of old when woodcutters were bold

Bogieman

8 hours ago, Sawchip said:

I remember my Granddad using Castrol green engine oil at 20:1 to make mix for his Stihl 08  back in the early 70's

I was grass cutting on the schools at about that time and we used to have JLO mowers. The recommended oil was 30 grade at 25:1 I think. The engines were brilliant starting and running loads better than the Flymo that replaced them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Leading link....

Yes

3 hours ago, Macpherson said:

I've got the best part of a 350 clipper .....guessing 49 ish , rigid but with the very earliest version of the roadholder Teles........parts might be scarce ?

Nice

Well when I was 16 the telescopic forks were  in fashion, at the time Enfield had produced a 5 speed 250 with a leading link too, but it didn't look the part, so I had the engine/gearbox in a 350 bullet frame. The Super five would have handled better (I never rode one but opinion since is such). Later Enfield produced the Continnetal GT with the super five engine and gearbox to appeal to fashion.

BTW I remember the earlier Kawasaki H1 because my mate passed his test and rocked up to Kawasaki Woking on his Matchless 250 and asked for a test drive. He took it up the road and opened it up on the first straight bit, front wheel lifted, he lost control and fell off the back, bike went through the hedge and he bumped along the road. He became, and still is, the most litigious person I know and successfully sued the dealership for damages on the grounds they should never have allowed him to test drive such a powerful bike.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spudulike said:

Amsoil, 100:1 mix two stroke, used to sponsor Lowestoft FC powerboat- big Mercury V6 outboard Supercat!

Image result for lowestoft fc POWERBOAT

They used to race those on the lake near me in Texas up in Marble Falls. Like many races, one of the best parts is the insane names some of the boats had. The ones with inboard motors are mad. Some of them pumping out 5000HP. The noise is horrific.

Edited by wyk

On 03/03/2019 at 10:57, Sawchip said:

...  I note many Pro MAC"s (USA) talk of  40:1 in a manual iv seen if you used there recommended oil (what that was i cant say). ...

Our old McCulloch brush cutter gave three permissible fuel mixes .. (1) McCulloch synthetic oil at 40:1, (2) Other brand synthetic oil and lead free petrol at 40:1,  (3) Anything else, 20:1.   Not sure what to make of that but it suggests that leaded petrol didn't in fact help with lubrication.

• Like 1