Makita 9010 replacement

harvey b davison

Hi all

I occasionally mill small stuff, probably up to about 24 inch max. I currently use a Makita 9010 on a 28 inch bar, I have a txt engineering mill which will take up to a 42 bar which is more than ample for me.

My problem is that my saw is being more and more problematic, and I'm getting a bit disheartened with the saw. However I still really like it and like Makita/ dolmar saws in general.

So what's the best solution, do I change brand and get a ms661, or do I get another 9010 and hope that is better or will a 7900 do the same job. ( bearing in mind all my milling equipment, bars ,chains stare all geared to makita)

I only do milling for myself and still quite new and learning with it. However if I ever get competent with it then I would like to offer it as a service along side my joinery services, so to that end having two powerheads the same seams logical in case one breaks.

Any input greatly appreciated

Sorry for the rambling

Cheers

H.

What's up with the 9010? Unless it's been used very heavily for a long time it stick with, possibly send it to spud for repair as your most economical.

I've not used a 9010 but I think big j has and reckons theres not alot between the 7901 and 9010 so if you want a newy I'd go for that. I have the 7901 and reckon it wouldnt be too bad milling 24" stuff.

Also I think makita and husky share the same bar mounts? That may effect your decision if you already have bars and chains etc.

• Like 1

As above, speak to BigJ, hes in to milling and did a post on here back in october 18 regards the 9010. They were only released in 2011 so its probably still got a decent resalable value, and repair value at same time. If your happy with it but just want it refreshing, then like billpierce said above send it to spud for titivating [emoji106] (clean it before you send it though, hes had a few lazy customers just of late [emoji6][emoji23])