Post and Rail

Man Friday

9 hours ago, Jcarbor said:

Correct your wife does know best, never use stock wire for horses, they can get their hooves caught in it and end up with a very serious life threatening injury, i know because it happened to on of our horses.

Yes with stock netting I’d agree- but I was meaning strands of plain hi tensile wire- I use it a lot for horsey folk and they’ve never had problems- certainly saves them chewing up £Ks of timber rails!

Just now, Matthew Storrs said:

Yes with stock netting I’d agree- but I was meaning strands of plain hi tensile wire- I use it a lot for horsey folk and they’ve never had problems- certainly saves them chewing up £Ks of timber rails!

Or you could use 4ft horse netting- I used it recently on a job and think it looks ok.

DF5C73A2-131F-44A7-B26D-7317A06DE645.jpeg

1A190C32-F44D-4134-9903-0312A754C501.jpeg

We’ve got post and rail at home, looked very good when we first put it in. Now after the horses have rubbed on it it’s all over the place. We’ve got 20 horses and the only thing we’ve found that keeps them where they are meant to be is a mains electric fencing and tape or rope on wooden posts. I’d save your money, horses don’t respect p&r

Ah understood, yep no probs with that, you can also put a current through it if needed.

I'd 2nd wot others have said about the massive expense of post and rail plus horses chewing it.

Electric is brilliant on a fence.

But most of the serious horsey bits round me ( racing horse breeders trainers) started using a type of fence I don't even know wot u call it.

A sort of rubber material about 4-6 or even 8 inch wide that u thread HT wire along top and bottom. Looks quite well and visible to the horses. Fixed on posts with flat bracket things

If u do go for post and rail u I've seen them run either a plain wire or metal banding strip along top off rail to stop thechewing

I dont think wire of any sort is a good idea for horses, if the feckers can find a way of injuring themselves they will ,£££££££££`s to the vet :scared1:

Just put a road in through an equestrian property, used 6x4 posts and 4x2 rails down both sides , drowned the lot in creosote to stop the nags chewing on them.

Bob

5EF70B10-CB20-476C-AD4B-6EE0B3502D3D_zps

I think the concensus is the same from all. If I had my way, round posts, one top rail, horse mesh and electric. Unfortunately my good wife knows what she wants. And yes it's bloody expensive, the quotes are rolling in thick and fast now. Anyone recommend a decent hire company for post hammers? 

16 minutes ago, Man Friday said:

I think the concensus is the same from all. If I had my way, round posts, one top rail, horse mesh and electric. Unfortunately my good wife knows what she wants. And yes it's bloody expensive, the quotes are rolling in thick and fast now. Anyone recommend a decent hire company for post hammers? 

Where about are you more specifically?