Most original objection to tree felling/work?

Big J

1 hour ago, Haironyourchest said:

Not that one! Fairies live in that one!

Now don't be joking about the fairy folk, they delayed building the M18 in Ireland for a good few years because of a "fairy tree" (I think they live in Hawthornes)

Road was rerouted to avoid the tree, it'll be somewhere about Ennis, Co Galway

2 hours ago, Stool master said:

Now don't be joking about the fairy folk, they delayed building the M18 in Ireland for a good few years because of a "fairy tree" (I think they live in Hawthornes)

Road was rerouted to avoid the tree, it'll be somewhere about Ennis, Co Galway

True! Quite right too, who wants an increased risk of death on the motorway?

A "Sacred" fairy bush in Co Clare will not after all have to be destroyed in the building of a new bypass motorway, much to the relief of those who attach superstitious beliefs to such features of the Irish landscape.

There had even been a warning from a folklorist of a curse on the new roadway and of motoring fatalities if the fairy bush was to fall victim to the £100 million plan to bypass Newmarket-on-Fergus and Ennis.

One of the State's best known folklorists and story-tellers, Eddie Lenihan, had warned that the destruction of the fairy thorn bush or "sceach" at Latoon outside Newmarket-on-Fergus to facilitate the bypass plans could result in misfortune and in some cases death for those travelling the proposed new road. According to Mr Lenihan, the bush is a marker in a fairy path and was the rendezvous point for Kerry fairies on their way to do battle with the Connacht fairies. Under the bush, Mr Lenihan claims, the Kerry fairies would regroup and consult on what might be the best tactics in battle. He said their white blood has been seen on a number of occasions on the surrounding grass.

He warned of terrible consequences if the fairy bush was destroyed, saying that the site in 10 to 15 years' time may have a higher than usual casualty list, including fatalities. He said: "It is sacred ground, it doesn't revert to being a normal place."

During the last couple of months, the council has been carrying out archaeological works on lands surrounding the bush as part of preparatory work for the Newmarket bypass. However, the bush has remained untouched.

Yesterday, the county engineer, Mr Tom Carey, confirmed that after surveying the fairy thorn bush in the detailed plans and drawings prepared, the council has found that it would now be able to incorporate the "sceach" into the proposed bypass.

Edited by Haironyourchest

I just get to meet oxymorons.
"What are you doing to that tree? I love trees..."
It's dead, it has no leaves or bark. It will fall over on your car at some point.
"Oh I love trees.
Can you cut them all down as I don't like the leaves and they make a mess".

No.
[emoji51]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

I just get to meet oxymorons.
"What are you doing to that tree? I love trees..."
It's dead, it has no leaves or bark. It will fall over on your car at some point.
"Oh I love trees.
Can you cut them all down as I don't like the leaves and they make a mess".

No.
emoji51.png

These type are complete knob jockeys . 

• Like 1

Story:

Pruning about 140 young Lime trees in the middle of the city, 4 lanes of traffic, tram lines, etc etc. Found a dead one, called the Tree Officer, he comes out and says to remove it straight away.

Later on, a few trees later, 2 hippy-looking people with bare feet ride by on their bikes, turn around, come back to us, and ask, rather concerned and upset "why did the poor tree have to come down?"

My immediate reply: "Oh, my groundsman here needs firewood, and he liked that particular tree, so we removed it."

The reaction on their faces, priceless [emoji28]

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Did some work before Xmas on a clearance site in central Manchester.
We were warned the hippies/huggers might turn up.
By the end of lunch on the second day most of the trees were on the deck,snedded awaiting chipping.
I spotted this guy across the road, staring slack jawed at the mess.
Watched him turn red and angrily stomp up to the railings.
Put my saw down and walked over.
WTF is going on he asks.
You a tree lover? I ask
Yeah.
You know these sycamores are a non native invasive species?
Oh. Er...no.
The ornamental cherries and the London planes
don't exist in nature.
The two blue cedars looked nice but again non native.
Oh right, er sound mate.
Must crack on.
Hippy wanders off.
[emoji12][emoji106]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not very original, but I’m sure we’ve all heard ‘You’re not allowed to fell oak trees - they’re protected’.

Nothing close to J and Dan’s belters yet!

And yew ! Don’t forget them being protected as well mark.
  • Haha 1