Echo 2511 woes?

buffalo606

One of the things I suspect on saws that have cats is you tune it at one temp, then you run it more, and the cat starts to heat up drastically, changing the tune. As it would since there would be much less flow and more resistance to the exhaust flow once the muffler is heated up.  Echo and Shindaiwa's home planet do not require cats. This is from Stihl's own OZ web site:

kat_ms.jpg

• Like 1

Had the chance to dremel and drill the exhaust on my 2511 today. What a difference! I literally could believe it. Cant open the exhaust up easy so I cut some gills on the outside and drilled a hole from the gasket side through to meet these ( only way to easily miss the cat ( feels like it has one I.e heavy ,could just be a load of baffles though).

High recommend it. Need a good tune up after.

20190412_161352.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These saws are possessed by the devil, had a machine in, worked fine vertically, did a muffler mod and the idle would die vertically afterwards. I can say that I know what causes it but there appears to be no "Engineered" fix for it but have got a "Heath Robinson" one for it.

I also have found what I believe fixes the poor starting and dodgy idle issues - I think it must have taken around 8hrs of work or more to get through this and can say the lazered new ones seem much more stable.

• Like 3

These saws are possessed by the devil, had a machine in, worked fine vertically, did a muffler mod and the idle would die vertically afterwards. I can say that I know what causes it but there appears to be no "Engineered" fix for it but have got a "Heath Robinson" one for it.
I also have found what I believe fixes the poor starting and dodgy idle issues - I think it must have taken around 8hrs of work or more to get through this and can say the lazered new ones seem much more stable.

Mine isn't run at all after the exhaust mod. Def needed a good retune, an extraordinary slightly time experience requiring some a surprisingly large amount of adjustment. For now though I think its sorted

Ariens are hopefully returning mine to me in a few days time.  I had the dreaded 'bar stud issue' where it migrates outwards out of the chassis. I stripped it down in readiness to either try and  install a 'time sert' or buy a new chassis and completely rebuild it.  It was only when i read about udder people having the same issues that i realised the problem was not down to 'operator error' and  contacted Ariens and they were happy to help out.  I sent it to them in pieces and hopefully they will successfully rebuild it and update the primer bulb and adjust the carb to suit.  They have replaced some of the problematic 2511's from what i've read on social media.  Oil update ye accordingly.

• Like 2

On 13/04/2019 at 00:09, billpierce said:

Had the chance to dremel and drill the exhaust on my 2511 today. What a difference! I literally could believe it. Cant open the exhaust up easy so I cut some gills on the outside and drilled a hole from the gasket side through to meet these ( only way to easily miss the cat ( feels like it has one I.e heavy ,could just be a load of baffles though).

High recommend it. Need a good tune up after.

20190412_161352.jpeg

As long as it isn't venting directly on to the plastic, these little Echos(361wes here) seem to enjoy whatever exhaust opening you can give them. I made a gap in the cover large enough to stick your finger in. I also drilled straight through the baffle that usually holds the cat(which I removed) so that the exhaust has a direct shot out to the cover. A bit loud, but not too bad. Runs freakin great, tho.

168347438.bQ6wrHfH.361wes2.jpg

And she likes to dance!

Edited by wyk

1 hour ago, wyk said:

As long as it isn't venting directly on to the plastic, these little Echos(361wes here) seem to enjoy whatever exhaust opening you can give them. I made a gap in the cover large enough to stick your finger in. I also drilled straight through the baffle that usually holds the cat(which I removed) so that the exhaust has a direct shot out to the cover. A bit loud, but not too bad. Runs freakin great, tho.

168347438.bQ6wrHfH.361wes2.jpg

And she likes to dance!

Yes it's a very significant gain. I made these slits and drilled through and dremmelled from the back so like yours it is pretty much a straight through exhaust. Will be getting on with the 361tes next