Purchasing 25 acre oak stand in France - Pics

JonnoR

39 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Possibly, I'm not sure once you factor in all of the insects and fungi etc.

You are talking about an almost complete change in land use though.

I think the OP is interested in what he can do with his Wood, keeping it as a Wood.

Correct, but with a bit of consideration you can change the 'instead of' into an 'aswell as'

I appreciate you can fell 70 percent big native trees in an area, leave a few scattered about and smaller oranisms colonise the previously shaded understory, what gets me about mankind is every square meter of woodland is seen as a resource. Theres no scope for owning something without needing to 'improve' or make use of. At least it wont be another housing estate just yet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tree-fancier123 said:

I appreciate you can fell 70 percent big native trees in an area, leave a few scattered about and smaller oranisms colonise the previously shaded understory, what gets me about mankind is every square meter of woodland is seen as a resource. Theres no scope for owning something without needing to 'improve' or make use of. At least it wont be another housing estate just yet.

I hear ya', and would agree in most cases.

Woodlands are a bit of an anomaly as a habitat in that they can be 'improved' by human intervention.

It might help to view the 'resource' aspect of it as a very welcome bonus.

• Like 2

I have noticed that the periodic coppicing and clear fell of parcels out here seems to have a positive effect on all wildlife.

As long as there is somewhere close by for certain species to migrate to, flowers that were choked out by mature coppice reappear along with the insects that use them.

Within a couple of seasons bramble takes over and it becomes a safe space for boar, deer and other larger mammals that struggle in climax woodland with no cover. Then in a decade or so as the chestnut starts to dominate the light the cycle starts again.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I have noticed that the periodic coppicing and clear fell of parcels out here seems to have a positive effect on all wildlife.

As long as there is somewhere close by for certain species to migrate to, flowers that were choked out by mature coppice reappear along with the insects that use them.

Within a couple of seasons bramble takes over and it becomes a safe space for boar, deer and other larger mammals that struggle in climax woodland with no cover. Then in a decade or so as the chestnut starts to dominate the light the cycle starts again.

Spot on!

It's all about managing light levels.

We have been hitting some areas of the Wood I manage pretty hard. In the 6 years I have been there we have already seen the return of Nightingales, Hobbies and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, along with a burgeoning array of wild flowers, butterflies and a mind boggling mass of other insects. It's wonderful to work in such an environment.

The Wood is managed explicitly for biodiversity. The resource generated as a result of the interventions pays me a living. We only take out a small fraction of the growth that the Woodland puts on in the year. It is a truly sustainable project.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Its a good thing there are some woodland tpos in uk, or more big trees would be lost, a few plants and animals move in from surrounding areas increasing biodiversity, but you cant expand the habitat of mature native broadleafs that are a century or more in the making

Spot on Mick.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

8 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

Its a good thing there are some woodland tpos in uk, or more big trees would be lost, a few plants and animals move in from surrounding areas increasing biodiversity, but you cant expand the habitat of mature native broadleafs that are a century or more in the making

High forest is certainly a valuable habitat in itself. We leave some select areas as non-intervention in our Wood.

It is worth pointing out though that something like 50% of Woodland in the UK is unmanaged. Very few have woodland TPO's. They are especially good for bats, some birds and lichens and fungi but they are relatively barren. The majority of the wildlife that would inhabit them are adapted to the seasonal felling cycles that took place in most Woodland up until the second world war. They struggle to cling on in dark unmanaged Woods.

• Like 1

I'm really interested in (and grateful for) the discussion so far.  I have at least a year to get to know the woodland better before even considering anything approaching human intervention (beyond looking at unsafe trees near commonly used rides through the wood).

I also have the opportunity to look to see what happens to some clearings within the wood which seem to show no sign (yet) of self-seeded saplings popping up to fill the space.  In the meantime I can satisfy my meddling instincts by returning a recently cleared area of woodland, converted to paddock, to woodland, or making an orchard.  The temptation to get some pigs in there is there, but I'd rather eat venison!

Cheers,

Jonno

15 minutes ago, JonnoR said:

I'm really interested in (and grateful for) the discussion so far.  I have at least a year to get to know the woodland better before even considering anything approaching human intervention (beyond looking at unsafe trees near commonly used rides through the wood).

I also have the opportunity to look to see what happens to some clearings within the wood which seem to show no sign (yet) of self-seeded saplings popping up to fill the space.  In the meantime I can satisfy my meddling instincts by returning a recently cleared area of woodland, converted to paddock, to woodland, or making an orchard.  The temptation to get some pigs in there is there, but I'd rather eat venison!

Cheers,

Jonno

Eat both. A member of this forum makes fabulous venison sausages, into which I believe he mixes some pork.

I'll be near his house in the next few months. Just on the off chance he sees this post...

• Like 1