Douglas Fir and sequoia value

Johnsond

Hi All 

ive a surplus of 4.8m Douglas fir saw logs left. Just wondering what sort of value these would be if milled up into beams or planking. Majority are over 750mm diameter so plenty of scope for some decent size pieces. Also I've a few slabs and rounds of sequoia just curious in regards its value sizes are approx 2.2m x 800 x 70 mm 

cheers 

IMG_9819.JPG

IMG_9886.JPG

10 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Where did you buy them from?

Ah welcome back bad lad ?

They were from a forestry commission felling job Andy but were oversize and not wanted, they sat for a good while and were gonna end up off to biomass I think. Trailer is progressing 

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Ah welcome back bad lad ?

They were from a forestry commission felling job Andy but were oversize and not wanted, they sat for a good while and were gonna end up off to biomass I think. Trailer is progressing 

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

Yeh, heh heh, no drinking and brexit forums. :D 

So did you have to buy the wood at the regular rate or get them cheaper? Do such logs come up often?

Cracking looking Trailer! Well jealous! Any chance of your parts list? :D How much do you recon you've spent on it so far? Did you do all the fab work yourself? 

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Yeh, heh heh, no drinking and brexit forums. :D 

So did you have to buy the wood at the regular rate or get them cheaper? Do such logs come up often?

Cracking looking Trailer! Well jealous! Any chance of your parts list? :D How much do you recon you've spent on it so far? Did you do all the fab work yourself? 

Lol yeah nothing like a few slurps to loosen the tongue. Anyway that was then bud. 

No I got it at slightly less as it had been standing for a while and needed clearing. Had to sort own transport etc. I'm not sure reg how often they are around Andy as the big sawmills tend to buy up in big quantities well that's what I was told. 

Ref the trailer most of the frame etc was done myself, I'm in process of fitting the legs etc now in evenings, indespension units and tow hitch were sourced and fitted locally, mucked in a bit with guy at supplier etc but he set the units up tracking wise. Pretty happy with it for now I reckon I'm around 2 grand all in inc vat which is under the price for an equivelant xl trailer kit I think. OK my time was free but I think Ive got a stronger more adaptable item that I can add to later on. Ideally I'd strip it down and get it galvanised but I'm not done with the welding so I'd end up wrecking the galvo etc so probs will just hammerite it for time being until I get the final spec to how I want it. Hopefully get rails etc on this weekend and come up with a log loading solution. More than likely ramps and winch for now and maybe hyd loader later on. 

Apart from steel the only items are 

Knott 2700kg hyd damped tow hitch 

2x pairs of 1300kg braked indespension units and cables etc 

6 x trident towing sidewinder legs. 

• Like 1

Peter Burrows at towing and trailers priced me up a complete 2700kg rated set of 4 Avonride suspension units, wheels, hitch and full LED lighting kit, for £1040.46 plus Vat, i.e everything needed to fit running gear to a trailer chassis or body, to run at 2700Kg.

He was very helpful too.

Edited by difflock

37 minutes ago, difflock said:

Peter Burrows at towing and trailers priced me up a complete 2700kg rated set of 4 Avonride suspension units, wheels, hitch and full LED lighting kit, for £1040.46 plus Vat, i.e everything needed to fit running gear to a trailer chassis or body, to run at 2700Kg.

He was very helpful too.

That's a very fair price for all of that 

Yes, but I took the advice, from on here, and instead bought a trailer, just tonight.

On the way home, towing said trailer, the Skoda shat herself, flashing glowplug light, defaulted to 2nd, and not rev beyond 2000rpm and very erratically at that, quite wonderful when towing  AND then I got a flat wheel 5 miles from home.