How best to preserve a Bog Fir rootplate

difflock

I'm thinking about the Mary Rose which they brought out of the Solent in the 80s, that went off to be sprayed with a wax that would gradually replace the water in the timber so it could later be out in the open air without cracking.

That would be the ultimate, but I agree probably not too practical a suggestion.

• Like 1

I dont think you'll be able to preserve the redish colour unless you seal it with a surface finish such as a varnish. If you keep it dry it'll turn grey at a thought and should last a good few years anyway.

I think they used PEG for the Mary Rose.

H

Edited by hplp
  • Like 1

So if I just accept it turning 50 shades of grey, but it should out last 60 year old me,

if I can contrive a suitably aesthetic  roof over it.

But I honestly dont see the roof as a particularily practical proposition, since where it will be going, with its planned vertical orientation it will fully catch the rain driven by our prevailing SW winds anyway.

A shingle roof over it would look good mind.

Cheers,

Marcus

• Like 1

Interestingly, on the episode of "DIY le Donnie" (BBC Alba) tonight, there was a community garden, and the folks were painting a dug out stump/roots with wood hardener, to try and preserve it. Suppose it's a bit like the resin idea.

Don't know how well it would last.

8 hours ago, scbk said:

Interestingly, on the episode of "DIY le Donnie" (BBC Alba) tonight, there was a community garden, and the folks were painting a dug out stump/roots with wood hardener, to try and preserve it. Suppose it's a bit like the resin idea.

Don't know how well it would last.

Unfortunately I detest those type of shows,

all gung-ho and lets throw money at it,

then forget about it/skip-it,

and lets move on to the next new thing.

From 32 years of Council experience.

Difflock,  if you just wish to preserve the colour yet it will be outside then you are fighting a losing battle i'm afraid.

the timber itself should not need preserving as nature will have done that for you so no need to dip or soak it in anything...

i suggest you let it dry out for a month or so then start applying some danish oil that has a good UV inhibitor as this will preserve the colour for as long as possible.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, difflock said:

Unfortunately I detest those type of shows,

all gung-ho and lets throw money at it,

then forget about it/skip-it,

and lets move on to the next new thing.

From 32 years of Council experience.

You've never seen it then! Old gaelic boy doing odd jobs on folks houses.

The only annoying thing is half the time he bodges the job with PVC and silicone! xD

And he likes a good sing and dance

Edited by scbk
  • Like 1