Felling licenses?

tim361

This is something I’ve never had to heal with before. I’ve been asked by a land owner in Lindfield West Sussex to clear a load of alder. The fields are currently agricultural grazing and there are no TPO or conservation issues.   There’s about 40 trees and around a third are ear marked to come out. All the trees are 18” to 24” in diameter and about 30-40ft tall. There’s is in addition a load of oaks that need crown lifting to get the tractors under and 20 chestnuts that need felling all 9”-12” in diameter and 15-20ft tall.  I don’t know if we will need to apply for a license to fell this much timber and will the nesting birds issues get in the way?

Cheers Tim

17 minutes ago, tim361 said:

This is something I’ve never had to heal with before. I’ve been asked by a land owner in Lindfield West Sussex to clear a load of alder. The fields are currently agricultural grazing and there are no TPO or conservation issues.   There’s about 40 trees and around a third are ear marked to come out. All the trees are 18” to 24” in diameter and about 30-40ft tall. There’s is in addition a load of oaks that need crown lifting to get the tractors under and 20 chestnuts that need felling all 9”-12” in diameter and 15-20ft tall.  I don’t know if we will need to apply for a license to fell this much timber and will the nesting birds issues get in the way?

Cheers Tim

yes you will need felling license for that many trees , get in touch with your local FC guy and get then to walk round with you and he will explain the process to you and it will not be quick,

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Stoke Wood Project said:

It's very unlikely that you will get hassle from the FC for felling such a modest amount. The legal amount is 5m3 per quarter per holding, although if it's being sold, it's only 2m3.
Above this amount, you'll need a licence.

You can still fell 5m3  per quarter but only sell 2m3 .

• Like 1