Wind blown trees

Ryanfalkland

26 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

sorry i cant see how you can write a template for any forestry job and use it time after time as every job and job site hold different hazzards i.e ground conditions,gradeant,loose rocks etc you get the picture, i have been writing risk assessments with in forestry work now for quite a few years and if i had a pound for every one i have done i would be quite well off, just after christmas i wrote some thing on a risk assessment that i have never written before and that was very very wet spongey ground with very high water content then had to ammend this after lunch, with up to our knees in water as the moss layer on the surface started to break up hence 2 off us piss wet through, are these cutters ticketed up for windblown ? or just some lads with a saw ticket like CS31 ? as i said before it should be the cutters with the expierance doing the risk assessment as they should know what they are looking at and know the risks if they do this task on a regular basis.

Cheers for the input. Appreciate it. As i said earlier, my guys are both qualified for windblown trees. I understand a minimum of 2 is required for this task and we have two.  I know there will be many different scenarios in your game but our area consists of one species of tree and is relatively small and consistent with respect to the surroundings and footing. I understand each job will be assessed dynamically however im assuming that there are risks and countermeasures that are consistent on all rams. Its just these im after at the moment.  

I do appreciate your help cheers.

4 hours ago, jfc said:

Hi,

Some good advice above.

I know a guy who lives nearby with windblow tickets and into biking. Niall C. I will message him and see if he is able to help.

The arb association used to have rams templates available to download, think you need to be a member to access them now.

Is this on Falkland Estate?

I'd love to see more mtb trails in Fife.

Cheers,

Jan.

Thanks,

His name is familiar, hes probably on our Facebook page. 

Was kinda hoping this might happen. Our present cutter is very experienced and a mountain biker, but we certainly would welcome more volunteers.  I just want to do as much prep work as possible for them so they dont get put off by extra workload. 

Its great when guys actually help. Cheers dude.

8 hours ago, Spruce Pirate said:

Why aren't your cutters doing this for you?

Sit down with them and the relevant FISA guide and you should be able to knock something up as a generic.  Leave plenty of space for writing up the job specific details as each tree could be very very different depending size, species, location etc.

I had thought of this and will most certainly be looking for their input. I just want to minimise their workload so they dont get put off helping.  If i at least have all the templates ready to go i can then write the final assessment via their input and allow these guys to get on with it.

1 hour ago, Ryanfalkland said:

Thanks,

His name is familiar, hes probably on our Facebook page. 

Was kinda hoping this might happen. Our present cutter is very experienced and a mountain biker, but we certainly would welcome more volunteers.  I just want to do as much prep work as possible for them so they dont get put off by extra workload. 

Its great when guys actually help. Cheers dude.

Good luck with the project, if you need a place to drop anything that would do as firewood I have a farmer mate with a fastrac and trailer outside of rosyth with space. 

Finally the one has arrived. You took your time. You know nothing about me and the cutters i have on board. These guys are volunteers and i want to minimise their workload thats all. Cheers for your shite input helmet. 

But you tell me so much...

So let me explain my comment.
For every single saw ticket you complete, there is several pages about risk assessment and method.
If you're "highly trained" volunteers have the correct tickets and experience, they should know everything you have asked.
And as for a complete amateur coming onto a professional arborist website and asking highly suspicious questions.
Yes one of us is a helmet/cowboy.
[emoji3][emoji12][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1

Once Again several members of this forum having a pissing contest to see who can be the biggest twat on the forum

maybe someone could actually offer some constructive advice

You’d have thought all the “experienced” cutters commenting on the thread from their bedroom in mummy’s house might have been able to suggest that the RA and MS statement not only talk about the process of cutting the windblown tree but also about emergency details, ie nearest access for ambulance, first aid facilities, who’s in charge, what the “standard” kit setup is, signing and guarding the area to prevent public access etc

hopwfully these are are few ideas to get you moving on this project. I would also look at the FISA guidelines and the Arboricultiral association for RA templates and method statements

any problems and I be happy to send mine over for this type of work

good luck 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1