Wind blown trees

Ryanfalkland

12 minutes ago, Ryanfalkland said:

Are we possibly geographically lucky with the site and how its positioned ?

Dunno, the UK is famed fr unpredictable shitty weather I would investigate the chance of getting a 15 ton 360 on site , if only fr a weekend, with a good cutter, it could transform the job, at least raking the worst trees out, fr yr guys to snedd n cross cut safely. K

okay, cutters must have a professional refresher in the last 3 years and also a first aid +f, this is mandatory on all fc sites i guess they have this also multiple windblow. Radio comms essential as im guessing its a remote location

you need to think of basic scenarios with one tree or multiple trees like: one blown tree in one direction, windsnapped trees, hung up/part blown trees, trees under sever tension and the dreaded lots of trees all over in a mess. 

this is all advice i can give as this is all i have encountered

I haven't read the full conversation so apologies if I am repeating anything.

From the first few comments he wants to reduce his volunteers workload which is a good thing but I also bet that before they can walk in with a chainsaw some authority will want to see the paperwork. Bear in mind that as a volunteer they might only have a half day or day free each week that they can do the job. To keep the mountain bike track open then they would need to assess the job and do it on the same day.

Now I am making assumptions here of course and might be very wrong.

So volunteers can work on a Sunday morning . The authorities who own the wood stop working on a Friday night till Monday. It wouldn't be possible to present them with a full risk assessment and do the job that day.

So to help the OP a generic RA and MS might let his volunteers get on there, do an onsite assesment and do the job on a Sunday morning

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steven P said:

I haven't read the full conversation so apologies if I am repeating anything.

From the first few comments he wants to reduce his volunteers workload which is a good thing but I also bet that before they can walk in with a chainsaw some authority will want to see the paperwork. Bear in mind that as a volunteer they might only have a half day or day free each week that they can do the job. To keep the mountain bike track open then they would need to assess the job and do it on the same day.

Now I am making assumptions here of course and might be very wrong.

So volunteers can work on a Sunday morning . The authorities who own the wood stop working on a Friday night till Monday. It wouldn't be possible to present them with a full risk assessment and do the job that day.

So to help the OP a generic RA and MS might let his volunteers get on there, do an onsite assesment and do the job on a Sunday morning

Yeh mate kinda spot on.

Ive been to other trails and seen the devastation caused by windblow. I build trails at many locations in Scotland and have seen it first hand. In one instance the fc basically felled an entire area.

So i get where you guys are coming from.

But i do know that in the last 18 years at Falkland we have never had to deal with any more than a couple of trees on trail at any give time. Id say on average we deal with this once every couple of years.

I know the British weather is unpredictable but come on you have to play the numbers. From what ive told you and assuming you believe me the chances of a catastrophic windblow following the exact corridor along our trail at this location is highly unlikely. 

Im no expert but the club has got by the last 6 years with no more than an ms181 lol.

We dont have to react instantly,  a week or two is acceptable. But if left to the landowner it could be a couple of months. 

1 minute ago, Ryanfalkland said:

Yeh mate kinda spot on.

Ive been to other trails and seen the devastation caused by windblow. I build trails at many locations in Scotland and have seen it first hand. In one instance the fc basically felled an entire area.

So i get where you guys are coming from.

But i do know that in the last 18 years at Falkland we have never had to deal with any more than a couple of trees on trail at any give time. Id say on average we deal with this once every couple of years.

I know the British weather is unpredictable but come on you have to play the numbers. From what ive told you and assuming you believe me the chances of a catastrophic windblow following the exact corridor along our trail at this location is highly unlikely. 

Im no expert but the club has got by the last 6 years with no more than an ms181 lol.

We dont have to react instantly,  a week or two is acceptable. But if left to the landowner it could be a couple of months. 

I felled some sticks for a similar thing a few years back . There was a mountain board track in the South downs that my lad used to use . I went down in a 3 wheel kite trike ( with out the kite ) a few times , great fun . I did the job for free and with no RA or any other paperwork what so ever .  I would like this , and a couple of similar jobs taken into consideration M'lud .

• Like 1