Wind blown trees

Ryanfalkland

15 hours ago, Wonky said:

Here, I’m sure some guys have seen this, but how about the OP watch it and see some real in the woods stuff.

you will find it hard to say what a right way or a wrong way. Apart from if it’s done wrong you just may not be ever doing it again.

cheers

Lol, yeh there's not much that size at Falkland mate.

Am i going to have to post our cutters CVs and certs on here before anyone believes me lol. One of our volunteers has been doing it for 20 odd years. 

I really do appreciate your trying to drum it into my brain that its a very dangerous task and i do believe you. Thats why im not doing the cutting lol.

Cheers for the vid.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

Pretty sure LANTRA do a Windblown Tree Course now, the would be a Generic Risk Assessment for that course.

I would pre empt the work by having your experienced guys do a survey of the trees along the track and remove any obvious trees that could create future problems.

Im actually considering it tbh but we dont have the cash yet. Hopefully going for some funding soon though. Its an idea.

Only problem is the landowner isn't happy with just being certified, he also wants proof of experience.  I know The FC take a similar stance on chainsaw operations. 

8 minutes ago, Ryanfalkland said:

Im actually considering it tbh but we dont have the cash yet. Hopefully going for some funding soon though. Its an idea.

Only problem is the landowner isn't happy with just being certified, he also wants proof of experience.  I know The FC take a similar stance on chainsaw operations. 

I think this is the rub here - landowner wants work done, he is liable for all operations on this site, he wants you to be absolutely competent, he owns those trees and yet doesn't want to pay for them or associated works....... What ! Not doubting you mate, but I would take a whole different view on this now. K

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I think this is the rub here - landowner wants work done, he is liable for all operations on this site, he wants you to be absolutely competent, he owns those trees and yet doesn't want to pay for them or associated works....... What ! Not doubting you mate, but I would take a whole different view on this now. K

No sorry,

We have leased land off the owner to build our trails. 

The leased area is a corridor through the woods. The corridor is the marked trail plus 10 meters either side. 

If a tree falls within our leased area and is blocking our trails or dangerous we have to rectify this as its in our leased area. Given the limited size of our leased area a windblown catastrophe that we would be solely responsible for is highly unlikely. 

If a tree falls outside our leased area then the landowner is responsible. 

This is stated on our lease and management plan and is free of ambiguity. 

The land owner is not trying to screw us over. Its a simple defining boundary line and the responsibility of it is defined from the trees point of origin. 

If we were to leave the responsibility for windblown trees solely with the landowner the likelihood would be that it wont be rectified as quickly as we like and we might have trails closed for too long. This would impact the business.

Does this make sense?

Edited by Ryanfalkland
Missing info
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ryanfalkland said:

No sorry,

We have leased land off the owner to build our trails. 

The leased area is a corridor through the woods. The corridor is the marked trail plus 10 meters either side. 

If a tree falls within our leased area and is blocking our trails or dangerous we have to rectify this as its in our leased area. Given the limited size of our leased area a windblown catastrophe that we would be solely responsible for is highly unlikely. 

If a tree falls outside our leased area then the landowner is responsible. 

This is stated on our lease and management plan and is free of ambiguity. 

The land owner is not trying to screw us over. Its a simple defining boundary line and the responsibility of it is defined from the trees point of origin. 

If we were to leave the responsibility for windblown trees solely with the landowner the likelihood would be that it wont be rectified as quickly as we like and we might have trails closed for too long. This would impact the business.

Does this make sense?

Yes .

I would side with Khriss on this Ryan,
However skilled your volunteer workforce is, dealing with someone else’s windblown free of charge doesn’t stack up (no pun intended)
The inherent danger of dealing with something as unpredictable weight, volume, tension and compression of windblown trees isn’t a job to be done for “free”.
I understand it’s leased on your part, and honestly I’m not telling you how to run your business, but if the majority of fellas on here are telling you it’s dangerous, well...... that’s why skilled tree work costs money.
I doubt Fred Dibnah dropped many chimneys for a cup of tea and a biscuit.....
As I say Ryan, I’m not just stirring the proverbial but maybe a longer term budget should be planned to have paid foresters come in and do RAMS and associated works.
All the best with the project
Best wishes

Ian

I get what are saying guys, im just struggling to imagine how its possibly to have a major windblow site THAT WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR in our small corridor.  Its insanely unlikely. Ive been riding there for 18 years almost and the worst ive ever seen on our trails is one maybe two trees tops blocking the trails at any given time. And such an incident rarely occurs. We have to be reasonably practical about it. 

But yes worst case scenario and we have a major incident we would need to look at sub contractors which could break us. I highly doubt this will ever happen. There just isn't a great deal of windblow at falkland. 

I will discuss this with the landowner though as it is a valid point. Not sure how it could be worded in an agreement though. 

The heads of terms are still open for discussion which is a good thing.

Edited by Ryanfalkland
Missing info
  • Like 1