Wind blown trees

Ryanfalkland

The above topic aside,as i dont have any helpful input except for good on your guys for volunteering.

We generally go with a generic rams but we can add to it if we come across anything different.

Windblow is one thing, but multiple windblow scares the shit out of me.

A cross section of tension,compression, springboards and logs desperatley tryin to kill you.

Full on respect to guys in full time forestry hand cutting.

• Like 1

Here, I’m sure some guys have seen this, but how about the OP watch it and see some real in the woods stuff.

you will find it hard to say what a right way or a wrong way. Apart from if it’s done wrong you just may not be ever doing it again.

cheers

• Like 1

quickly looking back through this thread, nobody so far has come up with an answer that ryan can give back to the estate manager....one quick one...." right, the trails are blocked by one/several windblown trees, youll need to shut the particular trails till we can carry out an assesment and come up with a safe felling plan " the manager is only looking for something he can pass upstairs to cover any disruptions. once you have the breathing space, take your 2 experienced guys in and make a plan, covering all your options and equipment availability, a tractor and winch dictate a different plan from just a manual winch, or even no winch................wait till your in the middle of 30-40 square yards of edge side thats come down on the windward side of a hill, and blocking your only road in or out.........tell me about risk assesments and method statements then

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I would be happy to be corrected, I think the arb association used to have the RAMS up for free but now they are members only so advice to look there may not be helpful.

.....or get yr Arb member to print it fr you, I charge fr postage ;) k

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Rent/borrow the biggest heaviest vehicle, preferably on tracks you can find with
Heavy steel cable or chains.
Just rip them out and drag away.
Then when individual chop up.
emoji106.png

Machine handling is far safer, but in this case maybe not affordable ? 15 ton 360 is way safer than hand cutting it out. K

10 hours ago, agrimog said:

quickly looking back through this thread, nobody so far has come up with an answer that ryan can give back to the estate manager....one quick one...." right, the trails are blocked by one/several windblown trees, youll need to shut the particular trails till we can carry out an assesment and come up with a safe felling plan " the manager is only looking for something he can pass upstairs to cover any disruptions. once you have the breathing space, take your 2 experienced guys in and make a plan, covering all your options and equipment availability, a tractor and winch dictate a different plan from just a manual winch, or even no winch................wait till your in the middle of 30-40 square yards of edge side thats come down on the windward side of a hill, and blocking your only road in or out.........tell me about risk assesments and method statements then

We are only responsible for a ten meter corridor either side of the trails as per our lease agreement. In the event of a catastrophic windblown event the responsibility would revert back to the land owner. But i like how you thinking of all scenarios thanks.

We dont have the cash to bring in heavy plant for years 1 to 3.  My hope is that we can manage with big saws, 4x4s and winches. We have a decent relationship with the landowner and im sure in a major event he would send his boys in to help out.