Wind blown trees

Ryanfalkland

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

But you tell me so much...

So let me explain my comment.
For every single saw ticket you complete, there is several pages about risk assessment and method.
If you're "highly trained" volunteers have the correct tickets and experience, they should know everything you have asked.
And as for a complete amateur coming onto a professional arborist website and asking highly suspicious questions.
Yes one of us is a helmet/cowboy.
emoji3.pngemoji12.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Read it properly dickhead. Im trying to gain a head start and find an example of Rams nothing more. You question my cutters without even knowing who they are or what tickets they have. You just assumed the worst and took the opportunity to have a dig without any constructive comment. A cowboy would just go cut it, not go through investigative means for an answer.  

1 hour ago, John Shutler said:

Once Again several members of this forum having a pissing contest to see who can be the biggest twat on the forum

maybe someone could actually offer some constructive advice

You’d have thought all the “experienced” cutters commenting on the thread from their bedroom in mummy’s house might have been able to suggest that the RA and MS statement not only talk about the process of cutting the windblown tree but also about emergency details, ie nearest access for ambulance, first aid facilities, who’s in charge, what the “standard” kit setup is, signing and guarding the area to prevent public access etc

hopwfully these are are few ideas to get you moving on this project. I would also look at the FISA guidelines and the Arboricultiral association for RA templates and method statements

any problems and I be happy to send mine over for this type of work

good luck 

Finally a good guy that knows what he is talking about.  Thats exactly what i was saying.  I write rams all the time. On mine, id say most of the risks and countermeasures repeat themselves on almost every one. This will be the same with chainsaw usage. There will be some Risks that are on every set of rams you use. Im not after the site specific ones. 

I would be very grateful for an example so i get an idea and head start. Im trying to make my cutters job a little easier. Also as its volunteer work under a charity the rams would have to be in the charities name. So asking the cutters to set the layout and templates would just cofuse matters. 

I make a decent template with everything i know and the cutters can review and fill in the blanks.

I'll PM you my Email Address if thats ok.

• Like 1

Once Again several members of this forum having a pissing contest to see who can be the biggest twat on the forum

maybe someone could actually offer some constructive advice

You’d have thought all the “experienced” cutters commenting on the thread from their bedroom in mummy’s house might have been able to suggest that the RA and MS statement not only talk about the process of cutting the windblown tree but also about emergency details, ie nearest access for ambulance, first aid facilities, who’s in charge, what the “standard” kit setup is, signing and guarding the area to prevent public access etc

hopwfully these are are few ideas to get you moving on this project. I would also look at the FISA guidelines and the Arboricultiral association for RA templates and method statements

any problems and I be happy to send mine over for this type of work

good luck 

You've completely misunderstood my point John.
Are you aware of the amount of cowboys and charlatans on Arbtalk.
I've met a couple.
As for the thread in question, I stand by everything I've said.
How can someone who knows nothing of our trade write a rams for one of the most dangerous activities in Arb.
I don't write rams for low level flying???
Or construction.
Encouraging this type of behaviour is reckless to say the least.
I'm not trolling, I'm pointing out that it's dangerous and potentially lethal.
The OP should not be writing rams for this job.
  • Like 1

Finally a good guy that knows what he is talking about.  Thats exactly what i was saying.  I write rams all the time. On mine, id say most of the risks and countermeasures repeat themselves on almost every one. This will be the same with chainsaw usage. There will be some Risks that are on every set of rams you use. Im not after the site specific ones.   

I would be very grateful for an example so i get an idea and head start. Im trying to make my cutters job a little easier. Also as its volunteer work under a charity the rams would have to be in the charities name. So asking the cutters to set the layout and templates would just cofuse matters. 

I make a decent template with everything i know and the cutters can review and fill in the blanks.

I'll PM you my Email Address if thats ok.

Ryan, as stated before get your site specfic risk assessment off the arb associations web site. The method statement is pretty self explanatory its the method of working on that site, taking in to account how the detail is going to be carried out and the methodology of the kit being used.

I think some people on this forum are maybe concerned that if you don’t already understand or have these in place then maybe its a risk you doing them, whilst others are just not helpful.

Wind blown is potentially very hazardous, there’s a specific training course for it, its no where like a simply felling ticket.

A must if you are going to do it a tirfor winch or similar, be aware of the terrain especially slopes never work downside. Always have a first aid kit and rescue plan with you, never work alone.

Good luck buddy.

Work safe!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok one more time for those who dont get what im saying. 

IM NOT DOING THE CUTTING. 

Im here for advice so that i can have the work carried out in safe manner, hence not a cowboy.

NOBODY IS DOING ANYTHING UNTIL ALL PARTIES INCLUDING THE 2 QUALIFIED CUTTERS ARE HAPPY.

The cutters are doing this not as subcontractors but as direct volunteers of the charity therefore the templates Will need to be ours. The site specific input will from the cutters.

If you think im lying about the competency of our cutters then ask yourself WHY? 

Without the correct tickets the land owner wont agree to it anyway. 

What we have here is a classic case keyboard gangsters at the windup.

FOR THOSE THAT DID HELP,

THANKS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

You've completely misunderstood my point John.
Are you aware of the amount of cowboys and charlatans on Arbtalk.
I've met a couple.
As for the thread in question, I stand by everything I've said.
How can someone who knows nothing of our trade write a rams for one of the most dangerous activities in Arb.
I don't write rams for low level flying???
Or construction.
Encouraging this type of behaviour is reckless to say the least.
I'm not trolling, I'm pointing out that it's dangerous and potentially lethal.
The OP should not be writing rams for this job.

Once again not reading it properly. The OP will advise on the site specific risks and Methods at the time.  Ive stated this many times. 

I used to supervise working parties in high voltage substations including civils, cable pulling, overhead lines and some big ass cranes.  I reviewed many RAMS in my time and i know for a fact that many of the risks and countermeasures are repeated. THESE ARE THE ONE IM AFTER.

You dont know me, my background or my cutters,

You have just assumed im a cowboy lol.

Your right i know fuck all about dealing with windblown trees. Not once have i said otherwise. 

Edited by Ryanfalkland
Typo
  • Thanks 1