Flexi Flue sweeping.

We have just had our chimney lined for our wood burning stove. What are people using to clean their stove flue? Traditional flexi rods and brush or power sweep system? There seems to be a lot of very cheep power sweep kits but I worry they will come apart in the flue and cause problems.

We have just had our chimney lined for our wood burning stove. What are people using to clean their stove flue? Traditional flexi rods and brush or power sweep system? There seems to be a lot of very cheep power sweep kits but I worry they will come apart in the flue and cause problems.

Get a hetas registered bod in once a year or every other year and let them do the dirty work. Plus you’ll get your sweep cert that you can keep and put in your file with your buildings insurance, as you need a maintenance record to comply with your insurance. (Thats not set in stone though, as not all insurance companies stipulate it.... yet! But i’m sure it will come, as more and more insurance companies are starting to put it in place)

I sweep my own once a year with normal rods and brush .
Thanks for your imput . Is your flue in a stack or external. I've read that standard rods can damage the liner. I've got 1.5m Bailey rods but didn't want to damage the new liner. Just seeing what others are doing.

Sweep myself each year, it doesn't make any mess and doesn't take long.  I have some bends in the flue so I went for a powersweep system, spent about £100 on a set as the cheap ones just worried me.
Thanks Neiln . That was my worry. What set did you go for? How long have you had it? Would you buy the same again ?

can't remember what set up. Bought from somewhere online..chimneysweepdirect or similar name.  The set was describe as a high end domestic/bottom end of pro sort of set.  Better quality nylon or whatever the rods are supposedly to resist heat build up (DONT leave it spinning and not moving p or own, if a spot is touching the flue that spot will warm up!). brass fittings, glued and pinned to the rods and they seem substantial. replaceable whips in the head.  Standard set was something like 8 rods and I got an extra one which cost a bit more...turned out not to be needed as i get to the top with one spare now. I've had it a couple of years, with 2 stoves and sweeping before installs I've used it 4 times i think.  I'm happy with the set but because i miss read the description I got a set where the rods screw together, fine...just ensure the drill turns clockwise only.  However the sets that lock together are a bit quicker to use...screw together ones get tight being turned on a drill and disconnecting the end fitting, adding a rod, reconnecting the end fitting is what takes all the time doing the sweep.  I can still do the pair of stoves in I guess a couple of hours with digging the tools out the garage, and tidying away after.  Have a search on here and you'll find phots of my set up in use...might have even dug the name out last time, not sure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bikewoo said:
11 hours ago, Stubby said:
I sweep my own once a year with normal rods and brush .

Thanks for your imput . Is your flue in a stack or external. I've read that standard rods can damage the liner. I've got 1.5m Bailey rods but didn't want to damage the new liner. Just seeing what others are doing.

I have a stack with a 7.5" clay liner and a 6" ss liner inside that . The rods I use are the type that cant come undone whilst in use not matter which way you twist .  There rods are small in diameter to the pro ones the sweep uses and are a bit more flexible so I dont have any problems going past the 2 doglegs .  I have various size brush heads and used to put the large one up first followed by the 6" one but I found this unnecessary and only use the 6" now . Hole thing takes about 15-20 mins with removing the vermiculite boards and steel baffle , vacuuming out the soot and replacing the stove parts . Get to the top were the cowl  is with a rod  to spare .