Stihl 462

Cut4fun

38 minutes ago, steve collins said:

Good saw all round- would not use for production cutting tho as too fragile!

weak points are the top cover you mentioned with the 90* twist locks 

hd2 air filter lets too much small particle through-there is another filter available!!

Fuel solinoid can be troublesome-there are different types available

Rear handle has come apart in my hands twice as only mounted by prongs so clean the recess should solve this.

If it lasts a year il be happy, these are just my findings from cutting a lot of hardwood!!

Interesting view on it . Have you tried current the opposition ?  572 etc . How would they stand up to production cutting ?

Edited by Stubby

I haven't had a chance to use a 572 yet, I have ordered one but no answer yet!! , I missed out on one and ended up with the stihl equivalent.

the 462 is a great saw on a 18" or a 20" and the anti vibes are great, just feel they have tried to shave too much weight. The first thing i noticed was how the back handle was fixed and even said to my dealer that will come apart and it sure did.

I know they test saws in real world but im sure its only on birch, clean beech and fir! what about knarly spruce, hornbeam, ash, oak, larch ??

I have heard about 572 side covers breaking but i believe this is due to it being so light( magnesium?) sure someone will answer that and a few others having nightmare autotune problems.

saws now days only last a few years till there worn out and become non economical to fix, the old 3 series husqvarna's are a hard benchmark to beat but will become hard to find soon

• Like 3

Pretty sure it has a bigger version of a round air filter like on Type 2 261.

Thinking they have went air injection like the huskys now too.  Not sure on this though. But would help stop the fines getting into af.

New updated solenoid is white. The 462's here come with them. If you got the black only matter of time before. ;)

I know a logger that is testing one out with 28" for commercial logging. No problems yet.

There is a regular carb version.

Thanks for info

s462afussr.JPG

Edited by Cut4fun

Guy running a HD2 on a 088 local. I showed him his filter after just testing cutting after carb rebuild and tunning with 41" in ash.  Told him to get a outwears prefilter and give it a try.

Dang thing was was full in the pleats.  But these saws dont have air injection and the HD filter systems suks IMHO.

s088vvvv.jpg

Edited by Cut4fun