Slabs for sale

Rough Hewn

What condition would you describe these boards and how likely do you think they will remain as one board once dry?

Condition? In what sense?
The beech was solid enough to be carried out of the woods for 100m
By two men.
The oak is 3" and solid.
As I didn't see any of the trees standing it's hard to know what kind of tension and compression forces were at play.
The heavily spalted beech with holes will be good for resin work.
Couldn't honestly say about 2-3 years from now.
But if they split it's waney edge with resin river tables.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Condition? In what sense?
The beech was solid enough to be carried out of the woods for 100m
By two men.
The oak is 3" and solid.
As I didn't see any of the trees standing it's hard to know what kind of tension and compression forces were at play.
The heavily spalted beech with holes will be good for resin work.
Couldn't honestly say about 2-3 years from now.
But if they split it's waney edge with resin river tables.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Im kinda just starting out Milling, well two years now. I have very limited experience with what will happen when Slabs start to dry. I thought the Oak would have maybe split down that dark line? Pith maybe? As I say Im still learning and just trying to figure things out. That later pic of the Oak sure does look solid. :)

I agree, the Beech would look great as a resin table. :)  How dry does the wood need to be for that? Not something Ive done yet but hopefully will one day. :)

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Im kinda just starting out Milling, well two years now. I have very limited experience with what will happen when Slabs start to dry. I thought the Oak would have maybe split down that dark line? Pith maybe? As I say Im still learning and just trying to figure things out. That later pic of the Oak sure does look solid. :)

I agree, the Beech would look great as a resin table. :)  How dry does the wood need to be for that? Not something Ive done yet but hopefully will one day. :)

I found a lot of useful advice in the book 'The conversion and seasoning of wood' such as different thicknesses of stickers for different types of timber, sticker spacing for different thicknesses and types of timber, etc. Also, advice about avoiding drying defects such as surface checking, honey combing, etc. If you're aiming to sell the timber when seasoned to furniture makers it needs to be drying defect free to achieve a good price. I'd say that drying defects are different to natural defects which can make a piece of timber more desirable!

I've not made a resin table, but have used bronze resin plenty of times to fill smallish holes and defects. The timber needs to have a very low moisture content if used in a heated room and if you want to avoid timber movement which causes cracks/gaps around the resin. Rule of thumb for air drying is a year per inch, plus a year. But that's not dry enough to avoid movement in a heated environment. I only dry timber for my own use and aim for a final moisture content between 5 to 10%.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ucoulddoit said:

I found a lot of useful advice in the book 'The conversion and seasoning of wood' such as different thicknesses of stickers for different types of timber, sticker spacing for different thicknesses and types of timber, etc. Also, advice about avoiding drying defects such as surface checking, honey combing, etc. If you're aiming to sell the timber when seasoned to furniture makers it needs to be drying defect free to achieve a good price. I'd say that drying defects are different to natural defects which can make a piece of timber more desirable!

I've not made a resin table, but have used bronze resin plenty of times to fill smallish holes and defects. The timber needs to have a very low moisture content if used in a heated room and if you want to avoid timber movement which causes cracks/gaps around the resin. Rule of thumb for air drying is a year per inch, plus a year. But that's not dry enough to avoid movement in a heated environment. I only dry timber for my own use and aim for a final moisture content between 5 to 10%.

Andrew

Awesome, thats great, thank you. :) Just ordered off of Amazon. :)