tow ball question

forestboy1978

Hi guys, basically my tow bar on my van was fitted too low. I was thinking of seeing if I can get a longer tow ball to compensate for this. Problem being that it's a 3.5 ton trailer and I'm not sure if this is a wise move or if even tow balls are specced for such a heavy load but higher/ longer. I figured another 2 inches would do it. 

The problem I'm having is re attaching trailer when it's got weight in it sometimes if not balanced I have to jack the van up to marry the two up. Also on a sharp bump I'll scrape the bottom of the front end of the trailer on the ground. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Ta

Fit a tow ball with the height adjustment plate . There are several different mounting points so that you can pick the one that just weights the trailer nose heavy onto the ball . It wont snake then . ( provided you load it sensible ) .  

• Thanks 1

Drop plates are only designed to “drop”. You cannot fit them to raise the tow ball the load is in the wrong place. There are adjustable tow hitched available. These used to be fitted to old land rovers vans to get the right height. A drop plate might be ok but if an accident occurred liability would be with the owner.

• Thanks 1

please explain Conner, ...drop plate used as designed , load is applied in tension and shear, material size and spec is calculated to cope with this, fitted upside down, load is in compression and shear,     most materials are stronger in compression than tension, so the plate would acually be stronger..... the real problem is shear and its distance from the pivot point