Poorly Horse Chestnut Tree

OakeyDokey

Question

Dear all, I am after advice regarding a poorly looking horse chestnut tree in my garden.

I moved into the property last summer and noticed it wasn't looking too good.

I have just been working in the garden and snapped some pictures.  I am concerned it is dying.

Can anyone advise?

02-DC45-BB-9-B1-B-40-EE-844-B-3-BF49-CB89-AB42-EA1-C522-4720-94-A1-46-CD5782752-E93-CDD5-D-BE8-A-48-AB-A7-D5-3-EA673775-22-D779-CF-B697-4-FF7-AD1-F-8-F268-F078-75077-BA0-D46-A-47-C7-B30-E-652-A493-AB4

• Sad 1

Structurally, with basal twin stems, the long-term outlook probably isn't great as a possibility of 'parting ways' but this would require a more detailed inspection of the union. Whilst there does appear to be some fluxing, possibly bacterial ooze, and cambial dysfunction (bark death) on the stem, I've seen much worse.

Perhaps wait until it comes into leaf to better assess it's overall condition (vitality) and post back then.

Regards,

Paul 

• Like 3

I can confirm buds are starting to appear.

Some notes:

There is a park/playground behind that fence - should this be considered from a H&S point of view?

The leaves all had large brown spots on during the summer.

Thank you for your quick response!

Edited by OakeyDokey

As Martin says the brown spots will doubtless be leaf-miner which is now endemic and whilst doesn't directly cause a particular problem it's far from ideal and the trees look very poor from mid-summer onwards as the miners feed and the leaves brown and often fall. Crown reduction and/or bracing, if required, is an option but I'd probably avoid the latter in H. Chestnuts if using invasive techniques, i.e. breaching the bark layer, and do question whether it's viable really for the species as the longer term prognosis isn't great.

In terms of the H&S implications given the proximity of the park/playground, this would be a consideration from a tree failure risk assessment point of view but it's often too easy to predict the worst and remove trees unnecessarily...or too soon (that said obviously I haven't seen the tree at close quarters nor the site and proximity.)

At the end of the day the decision is yours, obviously, but I don't think you need to rush in "chainsaw-a-blazing" just yet and more particularly as it will soon be in flower and that's when it's at its best.  

I'd love to keep the tree and help it if possible.  It just looks so sick at the moment.

I consulted a forum instead of a tree surgeon because I was actually concerned I'd be told the worst so they get the job of cutting it down = £££ for them instead of a "oh your tree will be fine!" situation.

That said, if the writing is on the wall for the poor plant, I'd sooner get it down and rebuild that area now than after I ahve sorted the garden, etc...

Thank you all for replies - is there a way to source a good tree surgeon who won't simply want to fell everything to make a quick buck?

Thanks,

O

Definitely get checked for legal reasons for your own safety, probably not in your area so can't give you a name for an aborist. If its a valuable tree then I would say feed it when the dormant season is over, you might be able to reduce or get rid of the illness by giving it the right fertilizer. also is there anything behind the fence or on the ground behind the fence that might be causing it problems, such as water build up or something that could be rotting the root system? Can't see behind the fence but it might have something to do with it. Potentially root compaction around the root area is not helping, but that would have to be checked. Furthermore if damage has been done to the roots by building, etc... of any sort then that will also cause problems. 

Hope that helps. 

Whilst there have been some success stories involving the application / injection of phosphites it has to be done regularly to maintain the control effect. Unless it really is a special tree, in which case phosphites may be worth a try but very few tree surgeons can apply it, I would enjoy it during flowering and consider removal thereafter and replacement plant with a nice alternative species, small-leaf Lime (Tilia cordata) is one of my favs but there are many others.

In terms of finding a good tree surgeon, I'm sure if you say whereabouts you are then "one will be along shortly" 9_9...failing that you could try here www.trees.org.uk  

Regards,

Paul

PS You should check with your local council for any controls, mainly tree preservation orders (TPOs) or Conservation Areas, or possibly planning conditions :/, which may require you to obtain permission first...."just in case."

I’d mirror Paul’s comments above. That isn’t going to be a great tree long-term - take it down and replace with something else (definitely don’t plan/build your garden around it).

I’d personally be wary of anyone who tries to ‘sell you a cure’ - it is a relatively young tree with poor form (aside from the bacterial issues the conjoined stem is a significant long-term defect that will never improve). Spend your money once and take it out - you may even decide to lay out your garden differently if faced with a blank canvas?

In terms of a contractor, word of mouth tends to be great (that’s where all of our work comes from). Failing a friend/colleague giving you a recommendation, you won’t go wrong if you follow Paul’s link above to Arboricultural Association Approved Contractors.

I would suggest you don’t rush to employ anyone who knocks on your door/posts a flyer through the letterbox etc - there is possibly a reason why they have to actively seek out their work.... 

• Like 1