PTO chipper recommendations

Big J

4 minutes ago, arbwork said:

Yes they are available taller and longer, with bolt on extensions to allow loading over vehicles in to trailers.

Thanks, I’d have assumed so, just never seen them.

They always look an ideal compromise as you can machine and hand feed if necessary.

What’s the chip quality like?

Eddie.

• Like 1

What’s the chip quality like?   as with most disc chippers with sharp blades and anvils, and tolerances are kept as per manufacturers spec a reasonable chip is produced, however if blunt will produce non granular stringy and slabs of wood but will keep going and still chip, I would say will chip to get rid of produce rather than a say g30 spec chip, John  I am concerned if this brash is from extraction rack that it may be dirty and cause problems trying to chip it, is there opportunity to find a market for it? can you extract and stack it for collection/ chipping for biomass, I hear some of the suppliers of wood chip are getting quite keen to source woody material :001_smile:  certainly  worth a few phone calls

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arbwork said:

What’s the chip quality like?   as with most disc chippers with sharp blades and anvils, and tolerances are kept as per manufacturers spec a reasonable chip is produced, however if blunt will produce non granular stringy and slabs of wood but will keep going and still chip, I would say will chip to get rid of produce rather than a say g30 spec chip, John  I am concerned if this brash is from extraction rack that it may be dirty and cause problems trying to chip it, is there opportunity to find a market for it? can you extract and stack it for collection/ chipping for biomass, I hear some of the suppliers of wood chip are getting quite keen to source woody material :001_smile:  certainly  worth a few phone calls

Access into site isn't great, and I don't have much stacking space either. I don't think hauliers are going to want to come in just for brash. 

The brash is almost all going to be western red cedar, so there won't be quite as much of it as with other softwood species.

1 hour ago, arbwork said:

My old Farmi 260 was great as I looked after it myself and it would almost tell you as soon as the blades needed a rub.

Interestingly I found it better to buy genuine blades, run them by giving them the odd run and then chucking them.

Once sharpened they wouldn’t least anywhere near the original items.

The chip it produced was top quality and very consistent.

You however couldn’t hand feed it and it was a just too small for many projects.

Eddie.

My old Farmi 260 was great as I looked after it myself and it would almost tell you as soon as the blades needed a rub.
Interestingly I found it better to buy genuine blades, run them by giving them the odd run and then chucking them.
Once sharpened they wouldn’t least anywhere near the original items.
The chip it produced was top quality and very consistent.
You however couldn’t hand feed it and it was a just too small for many projects.

Eddie.

Sorry Eddie you could not hand feed or crane feed?