572 users - experience

Mr. Squirrel

On 26/03/2019 at 08:03, Jon@CareFell said:

As an aside.

Put my ported 560 with 24” bar up against a new but bedded in 462 with 20” bar last week in 20” wood ....

The 560 walked away from the 462.

Was that 560 pulling 325 or 3/8? The saw is either new or bedded in? Being both is sort of difficult ;) It takes 10 tanks+ to bed in the rings and loosen up the crank. I'm also impressed the 560 can oil a 24 inch bar ported.

Was that 560 pulling 325 or 3/8? The saw is either new or bedded in? Being both is sort of difficult [emoji6] It takes 10 tanks+ to bed in the rings and loosen up the crank. I'm also impressed the 560 can oil a 24 inch bar ported.

I can vouch for Johns 560(SP).
It's a beast.
I've posted video before of it against a 461.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

6 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I can vouch for Johns 560(SP).
It's a beast.
I've posted video before of it against a 461.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Don't doubt it. Next time try an 8 pin rim on the 462 and 461 if they are running 20 inch bars.

Was that 560 pulling 325 or 3/8? The saw is either new or bedded in? Being both is sort of difficult [emoji6] It takes 10 tanks+ to bed in the rings and loosen up the crank. I'm also impressed the 560 can oil a 24 inch bar ported.

.325 semi chisel on the 560, the saw was bedded in but in new condition. 24” is the max recommended bar length on the 560, certainly in the states, I have had no issues with it oiling. Its an aggressive saw even at full bar length.
  • Like 1

Don't doubt it. Next time try an 8 pin rim on the 462 and 461 if they are running 20 inch bars.

Wouldn’t this increase chain speed at the expense of “torque”?

I have never tried a larger rim so can’t comment, but I sure leant on both saws.

I am not taking away from the 462 power to weight it’s the best stock saw I have had a go with and with some “work” could be an experience to cut with. Just highlighting there are other options. The cost of the machines is another consideration as well.
  • Like 1

Wouldn’t this increase chain speed at the expense of “torque”?

I have never tried a larger rim so can’t comment, but I sure leant on both saws.

I am not taking away from the 462 power to weight it’s the best stock saw I have had a go with and with some “work” could be an experience to cut with. Just highlighting there are other options. The cost of the machines is another consideration as well.
Yes it would reduce torque, but there are some good combinations. I have found that a stihl ms361 on a 9 pin .325 18" bar goes extremely well, with other saws I have found it can be amazing until the chain gets slightly slightly dull and then it works out a slower cut. Horses for courses
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jon@CareFell said:

The .058 to .063 must make a difference as well but the .058 bar is going to be lighter for a given width. emoji848.png

The carriage on the 3/8 will be significantly heavier and have more resistance in the wood than 325. The 50 is significantly lighter, enough so it is what they use for chainsaw races, vs 63. But 58 and 63 are rather close.

I would think you might come away with a different result if you placed an 8 pin on the 462 and a 9 pin on the 461 for a 20 inch bar. They have a lot of torque as it is. What you want in a race is chain speed.