What can I tow on a cat B licence?

Justme

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I wasn't born until a year later, and passed my test in '88. What can I tow with a scooter?

A double skinned  2,000 gallon bowser  filled with nuclear waste  I think Eggs mate . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Both my driving instructors
(Of 30+yrs exp) swore blind I wouldn't be allowed to tow any form of trailer without the B+E.emoji848.png
So with a B license and a 2.5ton Discovery what can I tow with brakes?
emoji106.png

First problem is your Discovery is not 2.5 tonnes.

What is it legal maximum?

Top number on weight plate or section F1 on the V5c?

2 hours ago, Ratman said:

I would of thought, if you passed your test before jan 97 (which i presume you did) then you can tow a combination of vehicle, trailer and load up to but not exceeding 8.250kgs.
(Dont exceed your plated weights though of what you are running / towing, i.e plated towing weight of your disco might be 3.500kgs and a 16ft tri axle ifor trailer might also be plated at 3.500kgs fully laden, so your mass in running order legally would be 7.000kgs, so if you put that extra weight on your illegal, even though you can legally tow up to 8.250kgs)

Thats how i read / understand it, i could be wrong though Saul.

This is an often misquoted bit of the guidance.

The 8250kg is for the C1E 107 restricted licence.

The pre 97 BE actually has NO LIMIT on trailer plate weight. However lots of other regs will apply like active brakes over 3500kg etc etc.

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Cheers bud,
I passed my driving test Feb last year,
Had some bad experiences as a kid in vehicles.
Bought my first ride 1st march 18.
Would still be curious to know how much I can legally tow behind a disco2
with only a b license
emoji106.png

750kg. As you disco will have a MAM over 2750kg

• Like 1

I think this thread is really dangerous, and that’s because if and when you get stopped by plod or vossy.... and you say I’m legal to drive and tow this cos a guy on the internet said I could.. 

mr vossy or plod will just hand a ticket out if you in the wrong. 

my answer is, understand the rules and see where you fit within the rules

btw,as odd as it may sound. I was told just because you have an hgv licence doesn’t mean you can drive a car with a trailer, but that was a while ago and I never bothered to look into it because I do not have a hgv licence. Also things like rules change from time to time.. 

but the really way is to look on your licence see what groups you have then look on the gov's web page 

for example I have C1+E, if I was not careful I could think I could go up to 12t  but I have code after it  “107”   What this means is limited to 8.25t

all I’m saying is understanding the rules is the best. as it will be your pocket that pays and licence that’s endorsed, not the guys on the internet. ?