What can I tow on a cat B licence?

Justme

On 20/02/2019 at 18:17, Rough Hewn said:

Or put your driving license code in gov website.
You can tow 750kg unbraked.

Thats OK if you understand what it says.

I get loads that have done just that but then misunderstand & drive an illegal combination.

PS you can possibly tow MORE than 750kg ;) 

Poss even more than double that amount with the right vehicle.

• Like 2

On 20/02/2019 at 18:17, Rough Hewn said:

Or put your driving license code in gov website.
You can tow 750kg unbraked.

Pps brakes are not part of the conditions of towing with a B licence.

So thats two errors in your reading of the gov site already ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Both my driving instructors
(Of 30+yrs exp) swore blind I wouldn't be allowed to tow any form of trailer without the B+E.[emoji848]
So with a B license and a 2.5ton Discovery what can I tow with brakes?
[emoji106]

I would of thought, if you passed your test before jan 97 (which i presume you did) then you can tow a combination of vehicle, trailer and load up to but not exceeding 8.250kgs.
(Dont exceed your plated weights though of what you are running / towing, i.e plated towing weight of your disco might be 3.500kgs and a 16ft tri axle ifor trailer might also be plated at 3.500kgs fully laden, so your mass in running order legally would be 7.000kgs, so if you put that extra weight on your illegal, even though you can legally tow up to 8.250kgs)

Thats how i read / understand it, i could be wrong though Saul.

I would of thought, if you passed your test before jan 97 (which i presume you did) then you can tow a combination of vehicle, trailer and load up to but not exceeding 8.250kgs.
(Dont exceed your plated weights though of what you are running / towing, i.e plated towing weight of your disco might be 3.500kgs and a 16ft tri axle ifor trailer might also be plated at 3.500kgs fully laden, so your mass in running order legally would be 7.000kgs, so if you put that extra weight on your illegal, even though you can legally tow up to 8.250kgs)

Thats how i read / understand it, i could be wrong though Saul.

Cheers bud,
I passed my driving test Feb last year,
Had some bad experiences as a kid in vehicles.
Bought my first ride 1st march 18.
Would still be curious to know how much I can legally tow behind a disco2
with only a b license
[emoji106]

Cheers bud,
I passed my driving test Feb last year,
Had some bad experiences as a kid in vehicles.
Bought my first ride 1st march 18.
Would still be curious to know how much I can legally tow behind a disco2
with only a b license
[emoji106]

In that case then, its a combined vehicle with trailer inc its load of maximum 3.500kgs so you’ll lose quite a lot of payload with having a heavy vehicle like your disco to start with.
So if your disco has a kerb weight of 2.500kgs (weight of vehicle on its own unladen) that leaves you 1.000kgs to play with. Not a lot unfortunately.

Could always do your trailer licence, not sure on cost though, mate of mine did his a while back and think it cost about £650, but not 100% sure.
I passed in 99 but i’m exempt from the laws because i have my class 1 hgv licence, also another option for ya, but its expensive for that theses days, your up at nearly £3k i think now to do class 1.

• Like 1