Road side Oak.

trigger_andy

14 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I dont have the know how, skills or equipment to build one myself. I could do with your pick-list and pictures though. :D Might be worth me getting a local blacksmith to make me something similar.

Trial and error fag packet engineering Andy ?? most of the time I can assure you. 

Just now, Johnsond said:

Trial and error fag packet engineering Andy ?? most of the time I can assure you. 

Hmmmm, Im not so sure. Would be great to see the work in progress though. I know a good Welder actually. He was a Welder for Halliburton back in the day.  Could maybe make use of him?

Have you left the bed the standard 4.8m or bought extensions?

I added the bit below to my last post but you'll not have seen it;

Also, how do you intend on powering the hydraulics on the log loader if you get one like in the picture? Enerpac or something like that?

49 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Hmmmm, Im not so sure. Would be great to see the work in progress though. I know a good Welder actually. He was a Welder for Halliburton back in the day.  Could maybe make use of him?

Have you left the bed the standard 4.8m or bought extensions?

I added the bit below to my last post but you'll not have seen it;

Also, how do you intend on powering the hydraulics on the log loader if you get one like in the picture? Enerpac or something like that?

The mill was bought with 1 extension Andy which I think takes it up to 5.1m ?? I can't remember 100% at moment. In reality all the welding can be done downhand with a bit of effort moving the frame etc. As for powering it I've 2 options to consider, first is use a small flowfit 12v pump as used on Ifor tippers etc I've one on my trailer to power the A frame and it does a good few cycles before requiring charging. Would it do a whole day ??  Who knows but how many logs would I lift in a day ?? another  unknown I guess. Second and probs best but slightly ott is to use a Honda GX motor I have and got a hyd pump for that with control block etc, I've left space at front behind A frame for whatever choice I make. Flowfit do some tidy stuff and I use Hendry hydraulics in Elgin for Rams controls etc very reasonable and good to deal with. I'll see if I have a pic of set up on front of my Ifor. 

IMG_5909.JPG

IMG_5912.JPG

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

The mill was bought with 1 extension Andy which I think takes it up to 5.1m ?? I can't remember 100% at moment. In reality all the welding can be done downhand with a bit of effort moving the frame etc. As for powering it I've 2 options to consider, first is use a small flowfit 12v pump as used on Ifor tippers etc I've one on my trailer to power the A frame and it does a good few cycles before requiring charging. Would it do a whole day ??  Who knows but how many logs would I lift in a day ?? another  unknown I guess. Second and probs best but slightly ott is to use a Honda GX motor I have and got a hyd pump for that with control block etc, I've left space at front behind A frame for whatever choice I make. Flowfit do some tidy stuff and I use Hendry hydraulics in Elgin for Rams controls etc very reasonable and good to deal with. I'll see if I have a pic of set up on front of my Ifor. 

IMG_5909.JPG

IMG_5912.JPG

Good plan! :)

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

£400 a ton for s.chestnut is robbery

No, what the forestry guy said the Sleeper Guy would make per Ton. Its for sale for £150 a ton. I was only interested in the huge section for Milling. I was not interested in the regular stuff. Im really only there for the oak. 

• Like 1

No, what the forestry guy said the Sleeper Guy would make per Ton. Its for sale for £150 a ton. I was only interested in the huge section for Milling. I was not interested in the regular stuff. Im really only there for the oak. 

Wonky and I used to pay £20 a ton (1.5m3) for quality over stood s.chestnut. 14-24"
For milling and shakes/shingles
[emoji106]

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Andy i pay £70 a ton for larch/douglas fir and spruce delivered and in a 10 ton load i get 3 ton of oak at the same price 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Andy i pay £70 a ton for larch/douglas fir and spruce delivered and in a 10 ton load i get 3 ton of oak at the same price 

So three tons of Oak for £210? Canny be bad. What kind of sizes? 

I'll be getting some cheap Oak in a month or two got to Mill a bunch for a friend who's taking down about 10 oaks on his property. Just waiting on his felling licence coming through.

He sells me Spruce and Birch at £30 a Ton, but I have to take it home in a Trailer. Its only a 10 minute drive though.