Road side Oak.

trigger_andy

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Im an innocent child and dont understand you guys innuendos. 

Bit of humour is good for the soul.

Bit of progress on the trailer today Andy, A frame etc is mocked up and the indespension units are ready to go on. Measured it up from tow bar to back and it came out at 24ft so a decent length and pretty much confirms in my mind the benefit of a twin axle set up. Getting a quote from highland coatings to get the whole thing galvanised but not yet 100% on that as opposed to a pot of hammerite. I'll get some pics over once it's a bit further on. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Johnsond said:

Bit of humour is good for the soul.

Bit of progress on the trailer today Andy, A frame etc is mocked up and the indespension units are ready to go on. Measured it up from tow bar to back and it came out at 24ft so a decent length and pretty much confirms in my mind the benefit of a twin axle set up. Getting a quote from highland coatings to get the whole thing galvanised but not yet 100% on that as opposed to a pot of hammerite. I'll get some pics over once it's a bit further on. 

Cool, really looking forward to the pictures.  :) 

I know Woodlands, Logosol and Norwood sell their Trailer package as under 750kg total inc the Sawhead. This is to remain brakeless. Would being twin axle affect this? If you're over 750 what is your plans? 

20 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Cool, really looking forward to the pictures.  :) 

I know Woodlands, Logosol and Norwood sell their Trailer package as under 750kg total inc the Sawhead. This is to remain brakeless. Would being twin axle affect this? If you're over 750 what is your plans? 

I figured I'd be close or poss slightly over Andy with the whole package so went for braked units. Slightly more expensive but not prohibitively so. Hoping to come in at around £1200 but I've not skimped on the size and thickness of the steel and if I'd gone single axle I probably could have knocked a bit off that. 

• Like 2

What would you charge for something like the Chestnut Ive poorly tried to explain? The guy did say it will go to the Sleeper man and he'd make about £400 a ton off of it. So I have little leeway. 

He's talking shyt.
You can't get 20 sleepers from a ton.
Green sleepers are about 50kg.
I'd love to see the sawmill with 100% efficiency.
The norm is 40%.
The big s.chestnut you describe is worth milling.
Rot, cavitys, inclusions all add to the character.
It probably is fucked as far as standard boards go, but with a bucket or two of resin....
5'x10' table tops mmmm.[emoji106]
Mill it thick or it will probably fall apart.
75-150mm.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Johnsond said:

I figured I'd be close or poss slightly over Andy with the whole package so went for braked units. Slightly more expensive but not prohibitively so. Hoping to come in at around £1200 but I've not skimped on the size and thickness of the steel and if I'd gone single axle I probably could have knocked a bit off that. 

Will you be getting it certified? Im hearing all new trailers need to be type approved? 

I dont think he meant profit? Just what he'd make a Ton, then the cost of buying the Butt taken off etc. 

Im tempted to take it, I really am. :D Would have to spend a Grand on a new Mill though. So would need to be able to sell some of it to recoup some of the costs. 

If I do get it I'll keep you sizing guide in mind. :) Never know, I might get lucky. 

33 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Will you be getting it certified? Im hearing all new trailers need to be type approved? 

Looking into that Andy and hearing differing advice/views, trailer will be well over spec with 2x sets of 1300kg braked units and a knott 2700kg hyd damped tow hitch, all the steel is new hollow section etc so I'm sure it would pass muster. 

Im hopefully gonna engineer in the capacity to retrofit a log loader at a later date. Spoke to Pavel at Trakmet about supplying  a loader they fit to the mobile mill they have that I can weld on myself and am waiting for a reply ref can or will they and price etc something similar to that in the pics. If not it will be back to the fab bench, the 120x60x5mm section was chosen for the options to add things like the loader etc. 

IMG_0344.PNG

IMG_0345.PNG

IMG_0346.PNG

IMG_0347.PNG

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Looking into that Andy and hearing differing advice/views, trailer will be well over spec with 2x sets of 1300kg braked units and a knott 2700kg hyd damped tow hitch, all the steel is new hollow section etc so I'm sure it would pass muster. 

Im hopefully gonna engineer in the capacity to retrofit a log loader at a later date. Spoke the Pavel at Trakmet about supplying a loader they fit to the mobile mill they have that I can weld on myself and am waiting for a reply ref can or will they and price etc something similar to that in the pics. If not it will be back to the fab bench, the 120x60x5mm section was chosen for the options to add things like the loader etc. 

IMG_0344.PNG

IMG_0345.PNG

IMG_0346.PNG

IMG_0347.PNG

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I dont have the know how, skills or equipment to build one myself. I could do with your pick-list and pictures though. :D Might be worth me getting a local blacksmith to make me something similar.

Also, how do you intend on powering the hydraulics on the log loader if you get one like in the picture? Enerpac or something like that?

Edited by trigger_andy