New 880

gobbypunk

37 minutes ago, Khriss said:

88s find nails faster than any production saw :( k

That, dear boy, is pure simple statistics,

a big/biggest saw cutting more timber faster, has to find nails sooner,

especially in the more likely to be metal laden mature trees it will be cutting.

See!

There is always a "why"

mth

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, difflock said:

That, dear boy, is pure simple statistics,

a big/biggest saw cutting more timber faster, has to find nails sooner,

especially in the more likely to be metal laden mature trees it will be cutting.

See!

There is always a "why"

mth

Plus the biggest bit of the tree, which requires the larger saw, tends to be rearer the ground within reach of pesky men, with their pesky hammers!!?

I'm no mechanic,
I was told to stick an extra teaspoon of oil in my mix for the first few tanks, which I did.
Pulls like a proverbial.
It can mill 42" wide semi seasoned oak heart 12' long in a few minutes.
Takes a full tank though.
[emoji106]

I was always told that adding extra 2T oil is not so good because it alters the fuel/air ratios. A lean fuel mix can make the top end run hotter.
Also that on and off the throttle let’s things bed in better, along with light initial workloads.

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

Thanks guys , so I will just run it normal and do some small jobs first , but I do have an Oak milling job for next week , to soon do you think or just f###ing get on with it 

Get on with it !. ......an don't hit any nails - statistically or otherwise ;) k

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Thanks guys , so I will just run it normal and do some small jobs first , but I do have an Oak milling job for next week , to soon do you think or just f###ing get on with it 

Spud summed it up spot on. Get a few tanks of fuel through it first before some prolonged milling as it will run hotter than normal.

I've always ran new machines in at full throttle under load but let them cool down a bit, in other words not flat out, re fuel run flat out again etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skyhuck said:

Plus the biggest bit of the tree, which requires the larger saw, tends to be rearer the ground within reach of pesky men, with their pesky hammers!!?

tsk, tsk,

That was clearly inferred in my laconic comment.

And

"n" is nowhere near "r" on my keyboard.