Beech Takedown close to Building

TTownsend

Constructive criticism is stop the sawing of the saw!

It does not make the saw cut faster and it will increase the chance of kickback/follow through dramatically.

Plus its painful to watch :)

Looks like you did a good job, rigging into the back of the truck is bliss.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, RC0 said:

If youre going to use carabiners for rigging logs, a good rule of thumb for rigging is to point them out, not in....so the spine sits against the wood and not the gate. See 0.46

A couple of clarifications, if I may:

1. "..point them out, not in.." meaning point the gate outwards? (if so is there not a chance the rope will potentially load through the gate if snatched, for instance, which could fail?)

2. "See 0.46" ...what does this mean?

Sorry, you can see I'm non-operational these days.

Thanks,

Paul

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

A couple of clarifications, if I may:

1. "..point them out, not in.." meaning point the gate outwards? (if so is there not a chance the rope will potentially load through the gate if snatched, for instance, which could fail?)

2. "See 0.46" ...what does this mean?

Sorry, you can see I'm non-operational these days.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul. In the 12 + years Ive been a member here, I dont believe we've ever spoken 

O.46 seconds of the vid is the first shot of the carabiner gate positioned pointing towards the log. A change in line tension, orientation, or even a collision of the rigged section against another part of the tree can cause a twist lock to press and work its way either partly or fully open, if you're unlucky. Consider also how a gateless chain hook would look in either a craning or winching situation when positioned the same way....not good. Always choke the rigging from the inside out, so the spine of the hook or biner has its back to the load.

Other options include using a synthetic choker sling or strap instead. They are quick, secure and position the carabiner clear of the load altogether.

Knots (when tied correctly) are generally the safest of all, but I can appreciate why guys dont want to keep tying and un tying them all day every few minutes.

Edited by RC0

12 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

Picking little gobs off the deck all day can get tiresome...

I only use a gob if i really need too.

Couple of times there id say step cuts would have been just as effective.

Just my opinion no offence meant bud

On neutrally weighted sections of timber perhaps, but for swinging limbs and falling tops you'd be insane to sacrifice control just for a few less wedges in the final rake up!

• Like 3