Advice - Leylandii

sargan

I had a long row of Leylandii taken out, on advice here got stumps ground out.

dug a 50m trench imported topsoil and planted new Cotoneaster Franchetti hedge.

2 years on its established well ... now want to start thinning out the next parallel row of Leylandii.

I don’t want trees falling forwards onto new hedge, there is a long steep bank behind the Leylandii just want to end up with cuts being them there.

Tried a few but due to tight planting they ‘hang’ or fall forward, even though notch cut to fall other way .... due to branches all intertwined with neighbours.

Any tips on spear-cutting .... trees are up to 30’ ... but only 6-8” diam ... not something Zi can climb ... could use ladder I guess to spearcut off top section.

This is not something that I want done in one go ... take out maybe every other one over next 2 months ...then same next year.

Advice ?

1 hour ago, Martin du Preez said:

climbing up a ladder and spear cutting the tops out? that's not going to end well. Get a tree surgeon in you are going to kill yourself. If you still refuse to do that put a tagline in and pull them over. either or best to get someone in who knows what they are doing, it'll save you time and your limbs

i have hand winched the tops, and sections of THE WEED OF THE WOODS out,bloody bitch of a :tree:

As an amateur if they're getting hung up on one another I would use a pole saw to remove side growth on the side you want it to fall towards and along the sides that run along the hedge.  Rope as high up the tree as you can safely get to apply tension in the fall direction and then just notch cut the main stem.  All done from ground level. and not as if you need to do them quickly on a day rate.