Silver Birch bleeding

padman

1 minute ago, padman said:

I had to take two large limbs of a Silver Birch last week and I know they bleed badly.

My question is should i put something on the cuts or will it be ok just left.

Thanks any advice appreciated.

Collect it and make a refreshing cordial .

• Like 1

What do you mean by large?  If they are limbs rather laterals they will most likely decay no matter what you do so just leave them. As Gary said, the bleeding will flush out to an extent but birch as a species suppresses decay by keeping vessels full of water and therefore anaerobic. Once they dry out, they tend to decay more often than not. 

• Like 1

You need to bare in mind that the sap flow is very high in nutrients, a bit like alga in a petre dish ! Fungal spores will flourish on the surface of the cut over the next month , and also down the trunk. A very dilute wash of jeyes fluid might be best if that happens. When the leaves are out the pressure of sap will abate and it will dry up. Is the sap flowing now ? This varies on weather conditions hot or cold! I’d guess it’s flowing due to the mild spell.

walnut and all maples are similar.

Thanks for getting back to us !

I can safely say there is nothing for you to worry about,

you did the right thing checking !

It’s this particular time of year spanning 6 weeks or so.

If I’m expected to work on the 3 types of tree mentioned, i’l take a small branch off, 1-2 diam cut and see if that flows sap, if not were good to go. If sap flows i’ll be back in 6 weeks, when trees in leave and prune then.

Good luck ! !