Ideas wanted to make a trommel screen

Woodworks

2 hours ago, jmac said:

We have made a steel frame to go on top of an old tipping trailer, it has mesh on top at about a 45 degree angle just tip bucket loads of soil onto it and gravity does the rest. Got to be dry tho.

I would add to that by fitting a shaft with an eccentric on it ( any old lump of metal ) driven by a small motor then the vibration will break the debris soil through the mesh. K

( lil hydraulic one off the flow line to the tip hose would work - )

Edited by Khriss
Mind is slow today .......
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Storrs said:

If you have only a 1” mesh you will need it to be absolutely bone dry for it to work, I have a rake bucket with 3” tine spacings which I use for sifting rock from soil and even this is pretty intolerant of damp soil. Like this

Yes, I know it will need to be dry. My plan is to tarp it over a month beforehand.

I say 1" as that's what I use now. 8' x 4' mesh on a frame set up an angle. Mechanically load the soil on and then hand rake it through and off the sieve. Works but very labour intensive.

1 hour ago, Matthew Storrs said:

If you have only a 1” mesh you will need it to be absolutely bone dry for it to work, I have a rake bucket with 3” tine spacings which I use for sifting rock from soil and even this is pretty intolerant of damp soil. Like this

Bone dry - that's hit the nail on a head. You can forget a riddle bucket of any sort on your loader - it wont work !

We have a riddle bucket we fabricated specifically. It's 2ft wide and 4ft deep with high sides and bucket teeth. The material gets moved a long way from front to back of bucket, so has effective operation. The 4"removable screen made of 25mm rebar, 2"" / 1" screens 20mm rebar. Its bombproof but its a thankless task and V. slow. 1hour to fill a 6 tonne dumper when screening 2" / 1" when dry depending on material. 4" is probably 1/2 hour. Also very noisy and does the EX. no good. Remember this is a 7.5 tonne EX with a purpose built screening bucket. Material is never bone dry of course. This is why I plan to buy the 0.3m3 rotary screening bucket.

It takes 30 seconds per cycle - Little noise, no vibration, no wear on machine and very productive, also being more effective on damper material as it moves it about so much tumbling.

Vibrating angle screens as mentioned can be ok - but do you want to spend time running around to source all the parts then days fabricating something. Prep the material and hire someone in with the right equipment for the day. Good luck finding that person though. ?

1 minute ago, arboriculturist said:

Prep the material and hire someone in with the right equipment for the day. Good luck finding that person though. ?

And that is the snag. Not tried hard yet to find someone but the usual suspects around here don't have one. 

You say it wont work on that sort of loader but on the pivot steer you can give it a fair shake from side to side. Suspect it's pretty cruel on the pivots though. 

28 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

And that is the snag. Not tried hard yet to find someone but the usual suspects around here don't have one. 

You say it wont work on that sort of loader but on the pivot steer you can give it a fair shake from side to side. Suspect it's pretty cruel on the pivots though. 

We have done a few hundred tonnes and it's harsh even on a 360. The videos online show dry soil like sand but in the real world rocks are caked in mud, and the soil/mud is generally damp. It is a violent process as the material has to be moved quickly in the bucket to agitate the mixture enough to screen out the fines. That is why they make Rotary screening buckets as they agitate very effectively by tumbling. Look online at Lloyd screening buckets, which is what I plan to buy and you will see the result. (They have now updated their videos)

Edited by arboriculturist
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Bone dry - that's hit the nail on a head. You can forget a riddle bucket of any sort on your loader - it wont work !

We have a riddle bucket we fabricated specifically. It's 2ft wide and 4ft deep with high sides and bucket teeth. The material gets moved a long way from front to back of bucket, so has effective operation. The 4"removable screen made of 25mm rebar, 2"" / 1" screens 20mm rebar. Its bombproof but its a thankless task and V. slow. 1hour to fill a 6 tonne dumper when screening 2" / 1" when dry depending on material. 4" is probably 1/2 hour. Also very noisy and does the EX. no good. Remember this is a 7.5 tonne EX with a purpose built screening bucket. Material is never bone dry of course. This is why I plan to buy the 0.3m3 rotary screening bucket.

It takes 30 seconds per cycle - Little noise, no vibration, no wear on machine and very productive, also being more effective on damper material as it moves it about so much tumbling.

Vibrating angle screens as mentioned can be ok - but do you want to spend time running around to source all the parts then days fabricating something. Prep the material and hire someone in with the right equipment for the day. Good luck finding that person though. ?

Can’t think many owner operators would be happy offering a riddle bucket as a service. Fine for the odd bit here and there- but as you say a killer on the bushes if using regularly.

5 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Can’t think many owner operators would be happy offering a riddle bucket as a service. Fine for the odd bit here and there- but as you say a killer on the bushes if using regularly.

Totally agree - it's a soul destroying job and we tend to take turn ! That's why I suggested find someone with a rotary screening bucket - that will be difficult.