Tax status of Discovery/Landcruiser Commercials?

Big J

12 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I thought they’d changed the Disco commercials - originally they were supplied with the seat mounts in situ (so you could buy it through the books as a van, claim the vat back, then if you so wished could buy a set of rear seats and simply bolt them in to use as a 4/5 seater). I was led to understand that the rear seat mounts are no longer there on the later commercials to prevent this practice. I’m fairly confident that a Disco with more than 2 seats would struggle to satisfy hmrc in terms of commercial vehicle status - it’s no different to a car. 

That is what I was thinking too. 

I think I'd feel pretty self conscious driving one too. They are awfully bling.

6 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Could you just buy an older vehicle with less tax implications and pay off your Valtra finance if you need spend some cash. Maybe most efficient way of doing it?

No tax benefit in paying off the finance early. The Valtra is invoiced in this tax year, claimed for in this year and paid for over 6. I need another largish invoice to put through as I had to bring the purchase of the forwarder into the last tax year. It's only because I sold the sawmill that I'm having to think of creative ways to avoid losing a lot in tax. It's a nice position to be in but just frustrating that the right vehicles are out there, but extremely hard to find.

I think I'm pretty much resolved not to consider a Disco commercial as I don't like the image (for work) and the Landcruiser commercial is extremely basic and doesn't tow 3.5t

Your now making your money harvesting timber and you have still to reach 'critical mass' in your new business as you are missing some key components if you are to attain that 'status'. In addition the present plant you have is seriously restricting the size of product you can harvest / process.  A suitably sized 360 fitted with Engcon Tiltrotator - winch would be a robust step in that direction and a sensible investment. Think of Devon and the geological characteristics and terrain of the woodlands / forestry you are now operating in, which is why the above is 100% logical in my mind.

Edited by arboriculturist
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Big J said:

I was thinking about an excavator, I must admit. It would have been handy on this job.

I have a disco 4, its a car because I wanted rear seats and a truck that hadnt towed and been thrashed from new. Gets used as a work truck, full of kit and tows heavy every day. 

You would be pretty unlucky to get caught out putting seats in the back of the Commercial variant. 

The main problem with mine is that I can only claim 12% a year capital allowance on it because its not a van. I have just accepted this as part of the deal with it. 

On a different note I would go and drive an Amarok if you want a 5 seat pickup. They are still the best and i've been in or driven all of them. 

3 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Your now making your money harvesting timber and you have still to reach 'critical mass' in your new business as you are missing some key components if you are to attain that 'status'. In addition the present plant you have is seriously restricting the size of product you can harvest / process.  A suitably sized 360 fitted with Engcon Tiltrotator - winch would be a robust step in that direction and a sensible investment. Think of Devon and the geological and terrain of the woodlands / forestry you are now operating in, which is why the above is 100% logical in my mind.

I could always go for a 5 tonner, so something similar and tow it with the tractor. Wise advice though.

2 minutes ago, Jonny69 said:

I have a disco 4, its a car because I wanted rear seats and a truck that hadnt towed and been thrashed from new. Gets used as a work truck, full of kit and tows heavy every day. 

You would be pretty unlucky to get caught out putting seats in the back of the Commercial variant. 

The main problem with mine is that I can only claim 12% a year capital allowance on it because its not a van. I have just accepted this as part of the deal with it. 

On a different note I would go and drive an Amarok if you want a 5 seat pickup. They are still the best and i've been in or driven all of them. 

I need 100% capital allowance or it's not worth it. 

I did consider the Amarok, but the towing capacity is only 3100kg.

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

I could always go for a 5 tonner, so something similar and tow it with the tractor. Wise advice though.

I need 100% capital allowance or it's not worth it. 

I did consider the Amarok, but the towing capacity is only 3100kg.

Been towing 15 years since the day I passed my driving test. with and without BE and have never been stopped once. The Amarok I had was a superb tow vehicle and we were towing round about 3500kg with it all the time. It was excellent, of course the risk of being pulled is yours to take.