Tax status of Discovery/Landcruiser Commercials?

Big J

I could do with a second work vehicle for site visits and as a back up for the Sprinter 4x4. I test drove a Ranger today but didn't really like it. The driving position aggravated my leg injury, the interior space was limited, the 3.2 engine sluggish, the auto box obtrusive and it was a bit bling.

I had a Disco 4 some years ago, it didn't end that well. And yet I still find myself drawn to them. More sensible would be a Landcruiser commercial. 

My question is what the tax status of the two aforementioned vehicles is? As I understand it, they aren't classed as vans as they don't carry 1000kg and as such you can't write off 100% of the capital cost in the first year. This is something that I could do with doing.

I really don't want to have to buy a pickup. I don't get on with them - they just aren't comfortable for someone my height.

13 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Landcruiser all day long, forget the discovery, too unreliable!

I know! 

But (and this is where Landrover gets you), the Disco 4 is unbelievably comfortable, and amusingly quick. A car dealer friend of mine said that a) he'd not sell me a Landrover and b) that a Landrover dealer friend of his would find customers in the dealership because their LR had broken down buying another one as they walked out. They are strangely alluring. 

It all comes down to the tax status though. If I can't deduct it, I can't consider it.

Sorry Big J don’t want to derail your thread but years ago I had a Daihatsu four track (think it was a “G” Reg prefix) unbelievable thing for pulling. Something like that maybe would have suited?... don’t know why they stopped making them really. I took the back seats and the fold down 6 & 7 seats in the boot out, it made a cracking commercial work horse.
Cheers
I

• Like 1

£30k, plus VAT, maybe a bit more.

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] hell fire, its a practically new one then at that amount of brass! Contact a lease company and enquire / look to buy something thats coming back in off a two year deal. Massive database so they’ll be able to practically narrow you down / find your exact spec.
  • Like 1

It's as much a need to spend some tax deductable money as a need for a second work vehicle. Both the Iveco 4x4 and the Sprinter 4x4 are between models (not selling the old models anymore and the new models aren't out yet) otherwise I'd just get one of those. It's bloody frustrating.

• Like 1