Tax status of Discovery/Landcruiser Commercials?

Big J

13 hours ago, Big J said:

I just don't fit comfortably in a pickup now. Too reclined and too cramped (I'm 6ft 8"). 

Chassis cab Iveco 4x4 would be spot on. Custom back on it for tool and fuel storage, and a sleeping compartment for when I'm staying on site. That would be spot on, but they are very hard to find.

Image result for iveco 4x4

J the Iveco dealer in Exeter had a brand new single cab 4x4 sat on the forecourt last year,    apparently if ya want the double cab version there is something like a 5 month waiting list due to production schedule.  They were keen to sell it on to a tree surgeon i know but he opted for the long wait and ordered a double cab.   I reckon one kitted out with tool storage and a bed bunk would be 65k or there abouts.

• Like 1

Just now, wicklamulla said:

J the Iveco dealer in Exeter had a brand new single cab 4x4 sat on the forecourt last year,    apparently if ya want the double cab version there is something like a 5 month waiting list due to production schedule.  They were keen to sell it on to a tree surgeon i know but he opted for the long wait and ordered a double cab.   I reckon one kitted out with tool storage and a bed bunk would be 65k or there abouts.

They are a thing of beauty. Proper little Unimogs.

They seemed to start at £40k plus vat for the chassis cab for the 3.5t single cab, but they aren't presently in production, so no real hope of finding one.

A diff lock is an option on most still (certainly the Ranger and the Amarok, which I've looked at).

Sadly (as it's probably the most reliable) the Hilux isn't an option simply as it's the smallest cab. Too tight for me. Also, they only do the 150hp engine option now, which is rubbish.

Fair enough. I’m a short arse so the cab seemed alright to me.
Hope you get something sorted soon mate.
  • Like 1

On 17/02/2019 at 11:46, Jonny69 said:

Been towing 15 years since the day I passed my driving test. with and without BE and have never been stopped once. The Amarok I had was a superb tow vehicle and we were towing round about 3500kg with it all the time. It was excellent, of course the risk of being pulled is yours to take. 

I got stopped when towing a big box trailer with a Disco,  I am in Northants,  also Northamptons biggest mower seller I believe also got stopped and heavily fined for no tacho.  Remember we have weighbridges at Weedon and J18 so are more likely than most to be stopped.

A

• Like 1

You seem to have found your own opinions on everything suggested mate.

Don’t over look the HP in the Hilux.

i used to have the 3.0 invincible and now have the 2.5 litre new model.  The latter is a much better vehicle than the former.

i am 6’4” and the cab isn’t tight at all.  Then again I am also sure an extra 4 “ might make it so.

Good luck with your search for the Unicorn of vehicles.

• Like 1

ok i didnt tell you this.

buy 2 or 3 mini diggers new, the ones that people on here are all after. around the 12-13k mark.

100% deducatable and can keep them on the books to depreciate.

Sell them the month after for cash reddies. 

Never known an accountant go and visit site to count diggers when doing the books.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tonytree said:

Not sure on the price but have you looked at the Mitsubishi canter 4x4 that might be an alternative to the iveco.

I think you can only get the Canter 4x4 as a 6.5t vehicle?

4 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

You seem to have found your own opinions on everything suggested mate.

Don’t over look the HP in the Hilux.

i used to have the 3.0 invincible and now have the 2.5 litre new model.  The latter is a much better vehicle than the former.

i am 6’4” and the cab isn’t tight at all.  Then again I am also sure an extra 4 “ might make it so.

Good luck with your search for the Unicorn of vehicles.

They are honestly tiny for me. Even without PPE. Then with saw trousers and boots, my knees are around my ears!

In a bit of an about turn, I think that I might be ordering a Citroen Berlingo. The Commission use them and with the off road traction control system, under body guarding and mud and snow tyres, they get around OK. It occurred to me that in the past 5 weeks I've only towed twice (taking machines off site) and all the rest has been back and forth, day in, day out to the same site. I'd be as well getting 55mpg rather than 22mpg and not putting the miles on the 4x4 Sprinter, which is a very expensive truck to run.

Whenever Iveco see fit to release their new 4x4, I'll speak to them then and see what the costs are. In the mean time, £16k on a little run about (I like options) seems like a decent option for a second work vehicle. Good for site visits too. You wouldn't think it, but the cab on a Berlingo is much, much bigger than a pickup, it has three seats and the loadspace in the back (even on the short wheelbase) is a foot longer than a double cab pickup. 

Edited by Big J