What's the best old 4 x 4 ?

arboriculturist

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

Several of the 2000 - 2004  Rangers I checked out said as Advisories:

Front body mounts are in poor condition

Rear chassis corroded on rear fuel tank mounting bracket

Underside of vehicle showing signs of corrosion

Is this what is to be expected on Rangers and should these vehicles be avoided or are these issues superficial?

What you have to remember is you are looking at trucks that are 19 & 15 years old...sometimes this gets forgotten,any work vehicles that have been used for what they’ve been made for will have issues.need to look for late 2008 on wards.

Is this what is to be expected on Rangers and should these vehicles be avoided or are these issues superficial?
Totally depends on the mot station. Sometimes they flag things like surface rust up as corrosion and sometimes it's on its knees. Really you just need to have a good look under it with a torch. I've seen some trucks on the road with an mot which are so rotten it's a wonder the body is still on

Rangers are known rot boxes, the engine g/box and axles tend to outlast everything else. You will find a good one here and there but the price tag will come with it, i.e ex-m.o.d or park ranger vans, coastguard etc in remote stations that dont do big milage and are often tucked away on a daily basis in a garage and dry stored.
You’ll just have to spend a bit of time looking and probably make several visits to places to look at em, but one will turn up.
Some mint low milage navaras come up like what Stubby had every now and then. Just avoid anything with rust on body, heavy corrosion to chassis, visible oil leaks and mega high mileage. Few and far between obviously, but you do get em [emoji106][emoji106]

21 hours ago, Stubby said:

Just watched my old D22 go up the road . No sign of any smoke and drives like a dream . Oil and filter changed every 6K on the dot . Sold it for £500 with 100K on the clock . If he does the same with the oil it might do another 100K !

hopefully me to stubby.ha.

52 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Rangers are known rot boxes, the engine g/box and axles tend to outlast everything else. You will find a good one here and there but the price tag will come with it, i.e ex-m.o.d or park ranger vans, coastguard etc in remote stations that dont do big milage and are often tucked away on a daily basis in a garage and dry stored.
You’ll just have to spend a bit of time looking and probably make several visits to places to look at em, but one will turn up.
Some mint low milage navaras come up like what Stubby had every now and then. Just avoid anything with rust on body, heavy corrosion to chassis, visible oil leaks and mega high mileage. Few and far between obviously, but you do get em emoji106.pngemoji106.png

That's sound advice thanks - get the headtorch / phone charged up and be prepared to crawl about under anything on offer before looking at the rest of a vehicle. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, miker said:

i got caught out on a landcruiser, cost me £700 to get it welded up, just about passed its mot , but was rotten as a carrot, probably wouldnt have passed its next mot, lost a few quid on that one, im more careful now

Non import Colorados especially are a potential nightmare, one of the few lousy purchases I've made was a 97  reg Colorado that, since it had a decent length of MOT remaining and no history of rot, I neglected to look underneath. Big mistake...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

Non import Colorados especially are a potential nightmare, one of the few lousy purchases I've made was a 97  reg Colorado that, since it had a decent length of MOT remaining and no history of rot, I neglected to look underneath. Big mistake...

Mine is a 97 Colorado and the chassis looks mint. It’s going strong with 230k miles on the clock