560 oil tank leak

Ian88

My 560 has been very smokey recently, took the exaust of and cleaned ot to find where i think its coming from.

Hopefully there is a picture to go with this that shows the spot and you can see some oil there as well. Is there an easy fix for this?20190216_151848.jpeg

How bizarre. That looks like there's a leak from the crankcases, yet if that was the case you'd think the motor wouldn't be running too well. Could it be chain oil that's been spilt after an overfill, found its way to below the cylinder, and it's following the join of the crankcase join afterwards? What is the colour of your 2 stroke oil, or pre-mix fuel?

If it is an issue with a leak from the crankcase joint it could interfere with the fuel/air ratio and mix. 

Edited by Baldbloke

The gasket gets sucked in to the two haves making oil leak and get burnt on the exhaust can .  This has been sorted on later models by adding another crank case bolt . Yours may be the model with one less ?

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

Exactly as Stubby has said and I had exact same problem on an early 550 which I tightened up the crankcase ( 5 bolts later ones 6)retaining bolts but over did it on the one just behind where the leak is so be very careful ! That bolt is behind the flywheel. Really depends on the state of the gasket if it's ok most likely get away with tighten up maybe add a little thread lock before hand. 

My one was running fine only smokey !

Edited by outinthewood

Remove the starter and flywheel and you will see most of them. Hidden one behind the ignition coil. Only two bolts holding it on. However when resetting the coil gap it should be .2mm. Most standard saws you just use a business card or similar but these need a closer gap. The crankcases are only magnesium it doesn’t take much to strip the threads. If the gasket is blown it is a strip down job or price up a short motor. Crank and cases complete. You would benefit from a short motor as you get the new type crank, crank bearings and updated cases that a 2018/19 saw has. Just a thought. 

Edited by Sveriges
  • Like 4