How to trim branches when there is nothing above them

forestboy1978

Just went and had a look at a badly butchered oak. Customer wants over hanging branches cut. I explained that there are no good pruning points further back than a meter from the tips. 

No TPO so could just cut over hanging branches vertically above his boundary but would look hideous and do no good to the tree or other option to trim back suitably which is what I advised. 

HOWEVER... nothing substantial above them to anchor to, too high for a ladder and not accessible from a MEWP. 

No idea...

No but he says they are OK and probably would be fine to cut some back to the trunk but if I did that it'd leave this trunk with pineapple top looking mass of spindly branches sticking out the top. You'd then be left wanted to trim them down which is not easy as they are not climbable and if that was managed you'd be left with a shell of a tree. 

No way of making this monstrosity look pretty/ not harming the tree with one visit. And not easy either. 

I figure it would require awkward and costly manicuring over a couple of years to get it healthy and amenable. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

No but he says "they are OK and probably would be fine to cut some back to the trunk"

I translate that as:

"We are at war with the neighbours and this will totally piss them off".

If that is the case, I would also assume that your client will also fall out with you over something and never pay you fully.

9 minutes ago, Husqvarna King said:

If it's too thin to climb a wolf pole pruner would do. If too thick for that you should be able to climb

I say it's not climbable... hmm, it probably is but you'd want to wrap a flip line around it a few times and be tethered elsewhere and ready for a good swing if branch snapped. 

pole saws or pruner perhaps but as Hairy says, impossible to make perp cuts. 

10 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

hard or impossible to achieve perpendicular cuts to the branches

not if you don't mind being hit on the headhenchman.jpeg.97931c01aa628e96480aac704ec535c4.jpegpruner.gif.d7552338e496e33a06edbab700eeaa6d.gif1_6_1.jpg.5c6d33ddf8b06e442449aceb9991c520.jpg

I have taken the HT131 up the tree if there is no suitable anchor, the big Stihl polesaw is expensive, but worth it. It extends loads. You can use them dangerously from a tripod ladder under the cut to get more height ( nibbling the branch back)

Or a good set of poles like the utility guys use, with the pulley pruner for upto 30mm or so, then the saw head. Sometimes they rod a tree and side it up without even putting a harness on. Of course if there are lower branches underneath that you can stand on even better.

• Like 1

even stood on the very top of an 18ft tripod (I won't be doing) with a pole saw I doubt all the over hanging branches could be got. 

As I said, even if I went to the trouble of taking them off, he'd then need to cut back the lanky shoots growing up out of the top which would be way in excess of 1/3 as it's sending growth mainly over his garden. By then he may as well just be done with the whole thing. It'll look crap whatever is done.