Down scaling

Boggle4137

The MS290 (029) is just shy of 6kg, a MS210/MS230 is roughly 4.6kg and a MS170/MS180 is roughly 4.2kg. You’ll find a tidy one for under £200 no bother. I have the older versions of each apart from the 170. I’d go with 180 (018) or 210 (021) personally.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Boggle4137 said:

Hi everyone

I use a saw from time to time but what I have at the minute (stihl ms290) is excessive for what I need. It's in tip top condition and all that but I really only ever use a saw for small garden trees. 

I'm not after a state of the art machine but neither something that's falling to bits either, I would just like advice on a smaller and sturdy stihl model please gents.

Thanks

Can you stretch your budget?  If yes, Have a look at this:

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws-and-Telescopic-Pole-Pruners/Cordless-Li-Ion-Chainsaws/22121-1583/MSA-200-C-BQ-cordless-electric-chainsaw.aspx

you'd have to allow for battery + charger also but well worth a look!

(forgot to mention, if you can get the one in the previous picture + the thing that's holding it in budget tell me where to go and I'm there tomorrow!)

The 160 is a bit cheaper....

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws-and-Telescopic-Pole-Pruners/Cordless-Li-Ion-Chainsaws/21856-1583/MSA-160-C-BQ-tool-only.aspx

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

you'd get a new ms180 for under £200 unless they've gone up loads.  And while i like mine, its a home owner saw, probably not what the OP wants.  although...if you do I'll swap mne for the 290 ?

being serious, something like a ms240 would be more capable

I've got a good 250 for sale for £200. Private message if interested.

Here's the advert I've currently got up for it on facebook. Only interest so far is from some very helpful fellows on treebay.9_9

Stihl 250, the thrifty two-sixty. Do your homework on the power:weight ratio. They’re an intelligently specified saw. Pretty much the displacement of an 026/260/261 but lighter.

Bought as a middle ground climbing saw and used for about five takedowns and a day in the woods before a new 261 presented itself at a price I couldn’t refuse. I’ve only run it on Motomix and it’s reliable as fuck. If you send a message enquiring about it, ask for the video of me firing it up for thefirst time in about six months. It went on the fourth pull. It ran fine on standard petrol mix when I bought it and would go back to it fine if you chose to.

Everything fine with it. Good overall condition. Carb in good condition insofar as it idles, revs and takes a tune and has power in the cut. Oils fine. Starter cord retracts fine. Comes with an 18” .325 bar and a chain. Bar level and dressings left in it. Chain about half way down and even. Sprocket has loads left in it. Comes with a scabbard. Comes with manual and I checked it wasn’t nicked when I bought it (from a middle aged bloke who used it for firewood and whose sharpening wasn’t bad). It was dirty when I got it but no evidence of abusing it blunt through stuff.

Price is £200. No offers please. It’s in good condition and reliable.

Located in North Durham but I travel far and wide and so feel free to enquire about delivery or meeting.

Edited by AHPP

25 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I've got a good 250 for sale for £200. Private message if interested.

Here's the advert I've currently got up for it on facebook. Only interest so far is from some very helpful fellows on treebay.9_9

That’s a very comprehensive ad Alex. How many wankers messaged to ask price / colour / size / year / offers?

Selling stuff really sucks, can’t be bothered with it. Guess it would be OK apart from the clowns you have to engage with. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That’s a very comprehensive ad Alex. How many wankers messaged to ask price / colour / size / year / offers?

Selling stuff really sucks, can’t be bothered with it. Guess it would be OK apart from the clowns you have to engage with. 

It's written as much for (non-pro) firewooders. Equal if not more likely buyers. The aforementioned helpful fellows on facebook had enough time to point out I'd spent too much time writing a thorough ad. I know, I know...

I've also just sold an eighteen-year-old MOT failed van. Imagine those negotiations.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ratman said:

Am i reading right..... No you want a top handle? Think you might struggle finding a solid tidy one at £200 (stihl) you might av to be nearer £250. They go real quick when they come up. Where you based? Sure most and myself included will keep our eyes peeled emoji106.png

No I dont need a top handle. A small and solid ground saw for light felling. Hmm I did think £200 was a bit low. I'm in the north Wales area, definitely a stihl. I see quite a few saws in my local area on Facebook so getting one isnt a problem, just need advice on choosing a model that suits occasional and light work.

13 hours ago, Ratman said:

The MS290 (029) is just shy of 6kg, a MS210/MS230 is roughly 4.6kg and a MS170/MS180 is roughly 4.2kg. You’ll find a tidy one for under £200 no bother. I have the older versions of each apart from the 170. I’d go with 180 (018) or 210 (021) personally.

Thanks man, exactly what I needed. Looks like it's either 210-180 then.